Tersa Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
Its time for me to get a new set for the p/t but was just wondering if anyone bothered with the non HSS variants? I use the usual hardwoods - cherry/maple/walnut etc.

M42 is very good, much better than the standard HSS Tersas for not much more money, they probably last twice as long before a changeover is needed. Fewer changeovers on a 4 sided planer the better! :)

From what I've been told the chrome knives are razor sharp but don't hold up well in anything but softwoods.

Haven't tried Carbide for obvious cost reasons :lol:

I bought a set of the M42 ones for my machine from Woodford. They are pants. Seemed dull straight out of the packet. Just couldn’t get on with them. Have gone back to the HSS ones as they seem much better.

I've only had excellent planer knives from Woodford, but I know a few people (including Peter Sefton) have experienced quality problems.

I agree with Trevanion, on the Felder branded knives M42 trumps the standard HSS hands down, twice the price but last three or four times as long.

memzey":21uy09mb said:
I bought a set of the M42 ones for my machine from Woodford. They are pants. Seemed dull straight out of the packet. Just couldn’t get on with them. Have gone back to the HSS ones as they seem much better.

They technically are duller as they have a broader angle on the knife than the standard HSS ones which have a sharper angle. Doesn't make much difference when you're using a powerfed machine but if you're using them on an overhand planer it would make pushing timber across the blades a little harder work. The broader angle is ideal for hardwoods as it doesn't tend to rip out the fibres as much, but in softwoods it is pants compared to sharp standard HSS knives.

I've also had 1 or 2 dud knives which weren't polished correctly but had them exchanged. I get mine from Appleby woodturnings as they seem best on price but I haven't shopped around for a while.

I've been wanting to try Tersa "Gold" knives but I haven't found anyone supplying them in this country yet.

You can mix and match blades. In say a 12” machine you can have 4” of M42, followed by 4” of HSS and finally 4” of Chrome. Slight offset of the blades stops and marks and it also means if for instance you made up your knives of 4” bits that should you hit a nail, you can just replace a small section.

I have Tersa blades on my Inca planer (260mm) and these are M42 HSS which seems to be standard. This planer is used for light stuff, but the blades have lasted very well.

My larger Ixes (Scheppach) 410mm planer uses 3 Centrofix blades which are similar to Tersa. I have some M42 HSS sets, but I splashed out on a set of carbide blades and the first side has been in use for ages now, and they seem to be going strong still.

I got these from Doug Perry at Cutting Solutions who was very helpful - a couple of years ago, so the price will no doubt be out of date, but I have copied below a bit of his advice at the time

...the TC price.
Bit scary....
£84.00 each nett
But, provided you are using clean timbers you will get considerably more
life from the TC.
Certainly more than 5 times.
But note I mentioned "clean" timbers.

Looking back, I am very happy with these.

Cheers

Back