Tenoning heads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whickhamwoodwork

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of using some tenoning heads for a 3hp spindle moulder 30-50mm length of tenon will suffice I've seen some Whitehill Limiter Tenoning Heads, does the top and bottom edge of the cutter produce the tenon and the end of the profile the shoulder?
some advice would be great. In the past I've used a single wobble saw and a sled to cut them but I am thinking that a pair of tenoning heads would be more productive and cleaner?

The machine is a JET - JWS 34LX Spindle Moulder.

Will the tenoning heads fit inside the the hood on the Jet?. Remember it's the block size plus the cutter, so they're quite big when assembled.
Be careful when using them as a pair on a moulder, because if you want an offset shoulder you might come unstuck if you have the wrong size cutter in relation to the scribe . But you can of course cut the scribes first & then cut the shoulder to the length you require separately.

Remember you're talking 2x tenon length + spindle size + 2x spacer thickness) for the total diameter of the head. So let's say you've got a 30 mm spindle, and the spacer is 6 mm (may be way off), you're going to need at least a 142 mm diameter cutter head to do that. And you need two of them. That might be a little much for a 3 hp machine. I know my 1 hp, 3/4" spindle shaper will barely do 3/4" long tenons. Your top cutter will be way up in the air, too, so any imbalance will be greatly magnified.

Kirk

Back