Tenoner Removing Top Head Nut Multico TM1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tomatwark":2yde6kd6 said:
Other thing to note that if you buy whitehill heads, you won't need a 30mm socket.
Whitehill heads come with their own special nuts, if buying second hand make sure they are with them.
Otherwise you will need to go to whitehill for them.

are you sure about this, I've seen photo's of alternative fastenings however then seen to facilitate fitting a 30mm bore with a top inset block to a 20mm shaft.

The photo's on Whitehills website do not show a special nut either in the main picture or in the block spares list

I have a 30mm block which I would like to fit to my multico if these nuts exist i would be interested in sourcing one

Seller replied to late to cancel dispatch of the 30mm socket as sent earlier in morning. So perhaps I should keep the socket?Ordered a 100mm x 9mm length of silver steel to act as lock on spindle. What torque should I apply to nuts?

The blocks I bought from Whitehill 13 years ago for the TM3 I had then had a threaded reducing sleeve that you tightened with a 2 pronged spanner. ( these block were still modern legal limited ones)

Looking at Whitehills sight I think they may now be bored the correct size with a recess for the nut.

This means if buying new you will need the socket, but if buying second hand, you will need to check if they blocks are like the ones I had and if they have the reducers, as they will be only available from Whitehill if they still make them.

pollys13":1whhij1z said:
I had the heads on Ebay..... for ages, as won't use them, not as safe as the new style. I was a bit shocked and surprised..... just sold them £175 the pair, won't buy new heads as can't afford them or justify their purchase, just at the moment

The old heads would've been just as safe as the new heads, You're not exactly putting your fingers anywhere near the cutter blocks and so long as you set them up correctly there really isn't anything to go wrong. The older heads tended to take material off cleaner and faster than the carbide insert style, in my experience anyway. From memory, if you do install the newer style heads the whole machine has to be adjusted and shimmed for squareness as the machine pretty much depended on you being able to set the knives square to the carriage in the older style blocks, since there is no angle adjustability in the newer blocks you have to shim the mounting on the column to get them square cutting. It's a real pain in the buttocks job.

Good luck finding any secondhand Multico blocks, they never really tend to come off the machine once they go on so you really only rarely see them for sale once in a blue moon. If you ever actually want to use the machine you might need to dig deep and buy new ones, at least you've covered 90% of the cost for one block by selling the original blocks, I've seen the original blocks sell for as little as £25 for the pair so you did pretty good out of them.

I had to shim my machine when I fitted the new ones, as for the cut having used both I would agree.

But at least the new ones are a lot easier to change the knives.

I don't really understand why Pollys took the old heads off his, it is not like he is running a business, but each to their own.

I have a spare Whitehall head for a multico tenoner. Not sure if it is a top or a bottom head - it came as part of a job lot. PM me if you are interested. I prob won't be in the workshop until Monday.

I don't really understand why Pollys took the old heads off his, it is not like he is running a business, but each to their own.

Scribing cutters I've only seen ones for the old blocks once.

mikefab":1dzqo5ei said:
I have a spare Whitehall head for a multico tenoner. Not sure if it is a top or a bottom head - it came as part of a job lot. PM me if you are interested. I prob won't be in the workshop until Monday.
PM sent.

Thanks for the input everyone. When I come to set the machine up for use. Will come back on the forum and ask those in the know for a few pointers.
Cheers :)

mikefab":99gv4oqf said:
Hi Mike,
I have sent PMs to you I think the messaging system may have a glitch. You replied to one PM saying price you wanted. I replied fine, asking to send a PayPal address to make the payment. No reply to that, this evening received a PM from you. Yes still interested, is it a top or bottom head?
Peter.

tomatwark":2y3ptits said:
Put new belts on.

They will only be a few quid.
I would take out the top spindle and replace the bearings while you have it this far apart.
Once you have done it up you probably will never need to remove the heads again.
Hi where did you get the new belts from for this can’t seem to find them

Latest posts

Back