Tenon sizing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't think my missus is going to allow me to drop 4 figure on something like that, plus it's a bit silly if this is still at the hobby stage.

This is not meant to be discouraging so please do not take it that way, but your workbench design is very non-routine!

There are certain functions of a workbench that have over the many years of woodworking proved themselves important. For example work holding for the various tasks of planning face and edge, sawing, chiselling, and resistance to wracking, tool wells to allow a work piece to sail over the tools in use, comfort factors like where your feet go etc etc.

Your design is so unique I feel you've started from a blank sheet of paper and my concern is you will spend a lot of time building a bench that fails at many of these crucial functions / hard learned lessons.

I can see your bench is not a trad roubo/english/french design so doubt you want what I am aiming for. But I think a more basic frame, similar to the one in this video could result in a far simpler build that will resist wracking and give you a stable platform to incorporate the other elements that are important to you.

Regards

Fitz

Hmm, I'm not discouraged at all.

I haven't just walked into this with a scrap of paper and some crayons. I've done research, and still am doing research. I have a fairly limited space and I want to equip it with the tools that will do the job that I feel I'll be doing often.

I've seen loads of workbenches, lots. Watched plenty of videos of people incorporating power tools into their benches. I'm also big on organisation and storage, hence the drawers.

Thanks for the video link, but I could just buy one of them, it doesn't really inspire me or do what I need it to do.

I am though going to consider what I can change to make it more ergonomic and functional, it's part of the process, and the way I have designed it in Fusion, I can change things around quite quickly before I complete the design.

Also worth noting I have got plans to add dog holes to the top, I just hadn't gotten around to putting them in the design just yet.

I couldn't find anything about Wracking, but Racking came up - is that what you meant?

I have got a vice at one end going full width of that end, and I understand the mechanics about pressure distribution.

Wracking is normally used in woodwork to differentiate from racking (such as shelving). In the real world, which none of us on this forum live in, the terms are interchangeable. In this context its when a table assumes the shape of a parallelogram instead of being square becasue the design or construction doesn't prevent the top from moving left to right from the floor position. In a workbench like (I think) you're trying to make, it should be less of an issue.
If it's an issue you need the old fashioned English way of "make it out of thicker stuff / bigger screws / use a larger hammer" :rolleyes:.

Ok makes sense.

Also, I don't want people to think I don't appreciate the advice. I know i'm not an expert, but I have surprised myself with some of the stuff I've done last couple of years, and I feel that maybe woodworking was something I should have carried on with after school.

But I do appreciate the advice, and I take it all on board.

Here's what a single large dovetail would look like, also just knocked up in FusionView attachment 108915View attachment 108916

Here's what a single dovetail looks like in real life, I knocked it up in a piece of wood ™ ....

IMG_4653.JPG

Last edited:
I've got so much scrap in this workshop, I'm going to start practicing before the big build commences.

Thanks for the pic, appreciate it.

I had the impression from your comment you had a proper workbench for working on.
With space a concern, this proposed table with integrated machines will be far too wide, if you're intending to do any handwork, you need a proper bench to fit in the workshop too.

A recent thread on this below is likely something you will end up with.
I would have a pair of benches in that cozy workshop insead of the big table, and do away with anything that will have space not utilized.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/small-workshop-layout-ideas.130215/#post-1465293
Tom

I've got so much scrap in this workshop, I'm going to start practicing before the big build commences.

Thanks for the pic, appreciate it.
I have a walk through with loads of pictures, but it's the same as the Colonial Williamsburg video and theirs is much prettier than mine. Let me know if you want it.

I had the impression from your comment you had a proper workbench for working on.
With space a concern, this proposed table with integrated machines will be far too wide, if you're intending to do any handwork, you need a proper bench to fit in the workshop too.

A recent thread on this below is likely something you will end up with.
I would have a pair of benches in that cozy workshop insead of the big table, and do away with anything that will have space not utilized.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/small-workshop-layout-ideas.130215/#post-1465293
Tom

I will still have room for what I intend to do in here, by saying small - I mean it's not a huge space, but I've worked it all out, I will have plenty of room, especially as I intend to use the workbench for storage as well as working on.

I have a walk through with loads of pictures, but it's the same as the Colonial Williamsburg video and theirs is much prettier than mine. Let me know if you want it.

Well I think I have a decent grasp on the shape and how they connect, be interested to know the measurements you have used, as a frame of reference.

Well I think I have a decent grasp on the shape and how they connect, be interested to know the measurements you have used, as a frame of reference.

I didn't measure anything. Just scribed the thickness of the section on both pieces all the way round and cut the pin by eye. The pin then works as a template for the hole it goes into. Keep the flare angle of the pin sides at about 30º and you won't go wrong.

Interesting debate.

Do you guys prefer a large bench in the middle of the workshop like the OT or several benches on the perimeter?

I'm guessing what type of woodworking you envisage doing? Hand or machine each requires a different style if bench.

Cheers James

I will still have room for what I intend to do in here, by saying small - I mean it's not a huge space, but I've worked it all out, I will have plenty of room, especially as I intend to use the workbench for storage as well as working on.
Make space for a work bench and don't make any compromises.
Then make the machines safe around your workflow.

I'd be worried about hitting the riving knife and getting shavings caught in the saw personally, and that's off the top of me head.
Not too safe to have stuff on top of what now effectively counting as the saw.

The bench is likely where you will spend most of your time.
You would be hitting your knees if planing something wide, as there is no overhang, so if you decide to go that route, then set the storage area into the frame where you'll be planing.

Tom

Make space for a work bench and don't make any compromises.
Then make the machines safe around your workflow.

I'd be worried about hitting the riving knife and getting shavings caught in the saw personally, and that's off the top of me head.
Not too safe to have stuff on top of what now effectively counting as the saw.

The bench is likely where you will spend most of your time.
You would be hitting your knees if planing something wide, as there is no overhang, so if you decide to go that route, then set the storage area into the frame where you'll be planing.

Tom

Yeah I'm going to look at the ergonomics next, and likely to either increase the top so its an overhang, or pinch in the sides to create it that way.

I solve problems for a living, I'm a software engineer, so this kind of stuff is right up my street.

Back