Tenon sizing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you're getting there.

I'm going to cut one joint today in a piece of 2x4 and photograph it for you and you can see what I'd do. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

I trained on oak framing, so I cut big strong joints in framing. For me, it needs to be done quickly, as there's so much of it in a building and it needs to be strong. Keeping it as simple as possible is essential with bigger bits of wood.

Hello Bloc75, you’ve had some excellent advice there, and I would agree with everyone and everything. The only real concern that I can offer, is what timber are you using? I would recommend a fine grained hardwood, beech is ideal. If you’re trying to use a softwood, such as construction spruce, cutting straight lines along the grain using a handsaw requires a VERY sharp saw. It gets quite tricky encountering the soft growth of summer, and the harder growth of winter. Good luck. Austin

Hi, well I wasn't set on any really, not yet, not until I got my dimensions correct.

These pieces are 2x4, and I'm going to need 2500mm length x 2, and something like 1100mm length x 6.

I originally had the design at 50mm x 100mm - but on reflection I know my local timber merchant will supply these at 48mm x 100mm - and then it's cheap, also don't think they do beech.

A quick Google and some planed all round beech for one of the longer pieces was around £70 - which is a little bit too high. So I am still kind of researching this.

All joints rely on side grain to side grain for strength. If you have any end grain in the joint there will be little strength from that part. Your photo is showing a carcase but you have applied framing joints to make it. It is doomed to failure. You need dovetails or finger joints which will have side grain to side grain in the majority. The cross pieces joining the long lengths need the length go joint running along the grain of long lengths.

Some great drawing there, what a great tool to have in your arsenal, never got round to gaining those skills, am jealous.

What bench or benches is this design based on?
From the look of this specific joint, and not the plan,
one might think you're having a go at a Scandinavian bench like Frank's,
as that joint is utilized for the tool well/end caps.

I suggest you give more insight on what sort of work you're planning on doing on this bench, i.e heavy hand work like chiseling and planing or something more along the lines of festtoolery and machinery, or is it for site work.

If you're going to do hand work, then everyone will suggest that you laminate lengths of timber to make a solid bench, which wouldn't be a hollow thing which will deform, acting as a trampoliene and also a subwoofer, as it looks to me like you're planning on using some sort of sheet material for the top.

All the best
Tom

Some great drawing there, what a great tool to have in your arsenal, never got round to gaining those skills, am jealous.

What bench or benches is this design based on?
From the look of this specific joint, and not the plan,
one might think you're having a go at a Scandinavian bench like Frank's,
as that joint is utilized for the tool well/end caps.

I suggest you give more insight on what sort of work you're planning on doing on this bench, i.e heavy hand work like chiseling and planing or something more along the lines of festtoolery and machinery, or is it for site work.

If you're going to do hand work, then everyone will suggest that you laminate lengths of timber to make a solid bench, which wouldn't be a hollow thing which will deform, acting as a trampoliene and also a subwoofer, as it looks to me like you're planning on using some sort of sheet material for the top.

All the best
Tom

It's just using Fusion 360, I have the year free trial and making good use of it.

It's not really based on anything in particular.

It's going to be more for housing power tools like a Router table, table saw and mitre saw. As well as storage.

I'm thinking of putting 2 more legs in the middle for extra support.

Attachments

• Frame v7.png
    Frame v7.png
    401.1 KB · Views: 17
This is where I got to before I went back and started to update my joints. Every section is in it's own file so I can edit them individually as separate components, gives me better focus.

Attachments

• Workbench v4 v34.png
    Workbench v4 v34.png
    447.3 KB · Views: 26
And this is a view from the other side.

Attachments

• Workbench v4 v34 - other side.png
    Workbench v4 v34 - other side.png
    440.2 KB · Views: 10
I must get meself a proper computer for all these things!
That looks handy
I can't suggest what will work best with your design, regarding the integrated tools, presumably you've got it designed specifically for the room.
What I see might be an issue in some areas is there's no where for your feet to go.
That might be important on the opposite end of the bench to the TS
as it looks like a vice is going there.

Going back to your dovetail question,
there is a rough rule of thumb for the splay of the tails.
One in six is recommended for softwood, and one in seven is for hardwoods,
Cosman has made a good video about that, but more so regarding small boxes, he has a good eye for aesthetics.
Suppose that's easy with the computer, but for those who don't have the skills, a good watch.

Not really thought about where my feet would go. I could remedy that though I suppose by pinching in the sides at the bottom.

Yeah I think I've got the hang of it now. How do you find Fusion?

I think it's good / great. Last week I watched a whole week of LiveStreams about furniture design using Fusion. First time I've ever done that sort of thing. Some of the tips I learnt were fantastic. The parametric design is great, not just for multiple sizes, but if you decide to make something from different sized stock , you can update the whole design by changing one number! The whole series is available on YouTube.

Also, for workbench design, you could do a lot worse than watching this video. There's more in the series if you feel the need. Might give you a help with your design?

Matt Estlea power tool workbench

Interesting you should say that, I'm on Part 7 of that series, going to finish it off tonight. His delivery is great and the fact he makes mistakes encourages me. I am so envious though of that Planer he uses.

Interesting you should say that, I'm on Part 7 of that series, going to finish it off tonight. His delivery is great and the fact he makes mistakes encourages me. I am so envious though of that Planer he uses.

I've met him a few times - he's a nice guy.

I have a better planer than him though :LOL:

Back