Tenon sizing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just to confirm, you suggesting I make the long pieces go full length, and then the end smaller pieces fit inside?

Keep an eye out for them, they're lovely.

So just to confirm, you suggesting I make the long pieces go full length, and then the end smaller pieces fit inside?
Yes.
Do a sketch and someone will check it over. And you should practice and make a drawer for your bench first.

Well I've got a few drawers for the overall bench design already done (in design). Not ready to share just yet, I want to make sure I'm making the right decisions on jointing first.

Do you have a sketch of the whole bench. I’d be using bridle joints personally, but I’m struggling to understand how the piece you’ve shown incorporates into the whole bench.
Fitz.

Does this work? I've gone 14mm from the top on the edges, tapering into 21mm from the top on the thinner part of the dove joint.

Attachments

• dove joint.png
    dove joint.png
    567.5 KB · Views: 42
I was joking about you being in virtual America watching Colonial Williamsburg and theose beautiful chisels. Every time I watch it I get chisel envy.

Does this work? I've gone 14mm from the top on the edges, tapering into 21mm from the top on the thinner part of the dove joint.

Anyways, you've got the dovetail the wrong way round. It's like this......

images.jpg

See how it's locked together.

Hmm, if it's a corner piece, why does it matter which side has the pins and the tails?

Not really if it's a square box.

I cut pins first and stand the piece end on, on top of the other piece as a template, so I would cut the pins in the short pieces.

If you watch that video a couple of times and Frank Klausz' videos, he does the same. Note how all Kaare Loftheims' pieces are numbered, that's because you use one piece as a template for the other.

You won't be able to mix things around, so numbering the timber is essential.

Ok, but on my piece of work I shown you, the short piece had the pins and the long piece had the tails. I think I may change it to have 3 pins and tails though.

Well you have half tails at top and bottom. The pin bit is pushed into the other piece when you assemble the piece, and that should be the short bit. The long bit has the hole cut into it to receive the pin. With one big dovetail pin in a joint you have a half tail at the top and a half tail at the bottom.

Get your drawing the right way round first and we'll talk about dimensions later.

I'll take a picture of a box I'm making and post it later today so you can see what's going on

Because yours is framing the dovetails can be beefed up.

In your drawing you've got the big pin splaying the wrong way and it won't lock together.

So the light grey is the short piece and has the pins. The dark grey is the long piece with the tails.

Attachments

• doves.png
    doves.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 29
Do those pins splay ?

The more pins you have, the longer and more difficult it is to cut the joint. I'd do a drawer like that but my framing will only have one or two pins at the most.

Big pins, big tails = Easy life.

Back