Tenon sizing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloc75

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've been designing my workbench, and have decided to tackle mortise and tenons. I originally designed the base stretchers with a 50 x 100mm stock, obviously it's going to come in at 48mm x 100mm, which is fine, I can make those adjustments - but I just wanted some advice on the size of the tenon's. I'm also going to be doing it as a through tenon - so they will be 48mm long, and I had them at 22mm wide and 72mm high, does that feel too much?

I know about the thirds thing, and it's just a rule of thumb, but this should still work fine right?

The rule of thirds is based on the mortice rather than the tenon. I size mine to match a chisel or forstner bit size I have.

Yep. It just makes life a bit easier, especially if its your first bash at it.

So then it won't be a mortise-and-tenon joint?

I'm not bothered about it being easier, it's also not my first project around the house - so I'm fairly happy that if I prepare well in advance it should turn out ok. If I mess it up, then I make sure the next attempt is better.

Hopefully. :)

Still a mortise and tenon joint just full width/ height or whatever you want to call it.

How are you going to secure the tenons in the mortise ?

Hmm, but won't the mortise then be 100mm high? In a piece of stock that is already 100m high?

Apologies if I've misunderstood.

I am going to glue them in.

Base Frame v9.png

Oh, I see. I thought it was a stretcher between the legs.

Looking a bit closer at your diagram, the ones at the corner will easily break, as there's insufficient timber at the edge.

If I was building it , I'd make both the edge pieces the same and make them go the full length and that makes both ends the same too. No room for error then.

And I'd use a jolly big dovetail at each corner. It's no harder to cut than a mortise and tenon and will look so smart that you'll be chuffed with yourself for ever and ever.

Last edited:

Looking a bit closer at your diagram, the ones at the corner will easily break, as there's insutficient timber at the edge

Fair comment. Tenon's/mortise could be reduced in width?

What would be sufficient?

Suppose I could not make them through joints.

Looking a bit closer at your diagram, the ones at the corner will easily break, as there's insufficient timber at the edge.

If I was building it , I'd make both the edge pieces the same and make them go the full length and that makes both ends the same too. No room for error then.

And I'd use a jolly big dovetail at each corner. It's no harder to cut than a mortise and tenon and will look so smart that you'll be chuffed with yourself for ever and ever.

I could do that. Not even thought about Dovetails.

It's the wrong king of joint for that position. Dovetails will be better and they're easy to do.

Just google Frank Klausz 3 minute dovetails. Just don't use his bigger hammer trick or you'll split the wood.

It's the wrong king of joint for that position. Dovetails will be better and they're easy to do.

Just google Frank Klausz 3 minute dovetails.

I actually quite like this idea, improves my skills and experience too.

I mean I'm a little bit late in life to be doing this as more than a hobby, but if I am a creative, and I'm a computer engineer, so I have faith that I can do something to be proud of.

Hmm, it didn't look pretty - but I guess the point wasn't about precision.

What about a corner bridle joint?

No, but you can make it pretty. Strength is what matters. Dovetails used to be run of the mill hold cheap boxes together stuff and that's what he's doing there. Yours will be a lot nicer if you take your time.

Just dive straight in and enjoy yourself. It's all pretty basic, just some people like to make it sound difficult

If you make a mistake, you'll learn a lot more than doing it right first time. Bridle joints aren't as strong as dovetails.

I'll have to do a deep dive on them as it's not something I initially thought about.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back