tenon saw plate glued into back?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is it true that alot of tenon saw plate is glued into the back? wouldnt that make removing the back impossible? how would u clean a rusty saw then?

enterthedragon":3rv78o1u said:
is it true that alot of tenon saw plate is glued into the back?

Disagree with bugbear here:
Many modern maker do this: Lie-Nielsen, Adria, Wenzloff & Sons on some of their saws, Veritas, and we. Don't know exactly about hte others. And I've found at least one semi old Tyzack saws with glued blades.

wouldnt that make removing the back impossible?

Can only speak for our saws: No. But it is hard work and you have a very good chance (70%) to destroy the blade. We use Locktite and that is not heat resistant. But the blades are, neither.

how would u clean a rusty saw then?

When I clean a backsaw I allways try not to remove the spine. Because you have good chance (20%) to destroy the spine doing this. Just use a triangular block of wood with sharp edges and some fine grit sand paper.

Cheers Pedder

pedder":m8lhamsq said:
enterthedragon":m8lhamsq said:
is it true that alot of tenon saw plate is glued into the back?

Disagree with bugbear here:
Many modern maker do this: Lie-Nielsen, Adria, Wenzloff & Sons on some of their saws, Veritas, and we. Don't know exactly about hte others. And I've found at least one semi old Tyzack saws with glued blades.

Since the question was about restoring/cleaning, I assumed the OP was talking about old saws, and he did say "alot"

I fully accept your point on modern practice.

BugBear

Hi Paul

the more important point was: Better do not remove the spine wether you can or can't. I've done that in the past and some nice saws lost their virginity. Two Disstons (one with a brass back) and a Spear & Jackson. If that happens you can use Locktite or A hammer.

Cheers
Pedder

pedder":1ys8eang said:
Hi Paul

the more important point was: Better do not remove the spine wether you can or can't. I've done that in the past and some nice saws lost their virginity. Two Disstons (one with a brass back) and a Spear & Jackson. If that happens you can use Locktite or A hammer.

Cheers
Pedder

I've never remobved a spine. :D

I find wire wool + chrome paste crammed into the corner works well to clean next to the spine. Cleaning near the teeth is harder

BugBear

ok thanks for the answers fellas. I destroyed a blade by trying to strike out the plate and now its got a wave along its length =/

As long as it isn't kinked it shouldn't be destroyed. To get the blade of the spine clamp the blade vertical in a machinist vise and tap the spine of with a piece of wood, like ray shows it:
tapersj_4n.jpg

Or you can tap the spine back with small hammer blows from one side to the other.

Cheers
Pedder

Back