Tenon saw help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
Today I have completed my first ever bench hook, not really sure what I will use it for but someone told me I needed one.

Now I have a bench hook I have been told I will need a tenon saw.
I have done the worst thing possible, I looked on the interweb thingy for one.
Now totally confused I have a question or two,
I seen that there are Tenon saws, steel backed tenons saws, Brass top tenon saws, back saws, finishing saws, what the butler saw, fine tooth, 12", 14" 10", 12tpi, 10tpi and some that just seem to be a mixture of all of the above. I even saw a Ice Bear Japanese Small Dozuki Tenon Saw
All I really want to know is, what is it I should be buying? Do I need more than one type? Does the quality vary much with the manufactures?

Thanks in advance
Gary

Garno":pvjfen87 said:
what the butler saw

:D

You can find hard point tenon saws for not much money, they're pretty good and will last a long long time without any need to resharpen with all the faff that involves.

I can say that tenon saws are pretty useful saws for joinery. However your post raises the question that if you do not know what you will use it for do you actually need one?

What's the bench hook for, then?
Exactly.
Stop getting what other people tell you to get, and figure out what you need for the work that you want to do. Only then ask which 'thing' will do the work best.

Go off and read some of Paul Sellers' blog posts on tenon saws, sharpening and TPI for rip-cut and cross-cut saws, along with the same for Dovetail saws. While you're there, look at his 'ten tools' series, which covers the basics for most woodworking but still doesn't mean you'll need all of it.

I personally have just one of each saw, plus a big 22" cross-cut handsaw and will be getting the same 22" filed for rip-cut.

I agréé with Custard. I bought a hard point tenon saw from Aldi for 6€. It was out of curiosity and my usual saws needed sharpening. I have been pleasant ly surprised And would reccomend it to anyone just stating out.

Smithy

If you are anywhere in Fleet (Hants) I have some that are shortly going to be looking for new homes.
You are welcome to come and have first pick.

Bod

Thanks Bod,
I live in Dronfield, in between Sheffield and Chesterfield so would be unable to take you up on your kind offer.

Smithy I have now taken the good advice offered by Custard and purchased this https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Inch-TENON- ... 2749.l2649

I think the postage would be more than the saw :shock: can't believe they are so cheap with postage included.

Gary

Back