Tenon Saw Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardTarget

Reaction score
I have 4 oak doors (6" stiles & 6"/8" Rails) to make soon and possibly more in the future. I'm looking to make the mortice and tenons by hand rather than using machines, but I am not sure what type of tenon saw to purchase. Looking to buy a new saw rather than a second hand, can anyone advise which type to purchase (size/TPI/Rip/Crosscut). I don't mind spending on something decent including a custom made saw if there is anyone in the UK/EU still making them?

i used a cheapie sandvic 14tpi crosscut hardpoint tenon saw earlier. Not sure where I bought it or when, but it performed pretty well. you could do a lot worse than spend the 7-10 quid it will cost to try one out

Thanks for the replies, but I was looking to spend on something that will be a pleasure to use and will last a long time. Like the look of the Veritas Hunter, but would prefer a traditional looking saw I was looking on Ebay, but it's a gamble and I would rather spend even if it does cost me for top quailty saw.

Those are quite large tenons. Many a joiner would cut those with a handsaw.

If you are looking for a good quality saw, it might pay to consider the sort of work you expect to do in the future. If the tenons you quoted above will be typical, buy the biggest tenon saw you can find - about 16" 10tpi or even bigger if you can find one. Both Lie-Nielsen and Flinn Garlick offer big 'uns, but at £150 or so a pop, they are not tools to buy for a one-off job.

For more usual furniture-sized tenons, there was a longish thread about a month ago on just that subject - a site search may be in order.

HardTarget":2kpx26i9 said:
I have 4 oak doors (6" stiles & 6"/8" Rails) to make soon and possibly more in the future. I'm looking to make the mortice and tenons by hand rahter than using machines, but I am not sure what type of ternon saw to purchase. Looking to buy a new saw rather than a second hand, can anyone advise which type to purchase (size/TPI/Rip/Crosscut). I don't mind spending on something decent including a custom made saw if there is anyone in the UK/EU still making them?
You can't cut 6" tenon cheeks with any sort of backed "tenon" saw as non of them are that deep. You could start them off with a tenon saw but you'd have to finish with a panel saw (if you could match the kerf). No problem, it's been done like that for many years, or just panel saw on it's own.
"Panel" saw is (loosely) a 22" backless saw.

Most styles are ex 4 1/2" usually from 9" cutdown, so James C's saw linked to above could be very handy. An unusual size.

Notwithstanding what's been said earlier regarding the size of the joinery you're contemplating, I bought a couple of saws made by Pedder and Klaus of this forum.

DSC00004-5.jpg

Custom made, so blade length, tpi, handle fit are all to YOUR spec.

HTH.

Cheers

Karl

Any large hand-made tenons, I've always cut the cheeks with a full-on ripsaw: 26" blade, 4 teeth per inch. Despite being quite a hefty saw, it does a pretty good job, fairly quickly. Then cut the shoulders with a normal 'tenon' saw; 12", 13 tpi.

If you want to buy new and like traditional styling, +1 on the recommendation for the Thos. Flinn Ltd. You'd get a both the above saws from them. Good enough quality to last a lifetime at reasonable prices.

Thanks for all the input, I now have a better idea as to what I need, very much appreciated all your input! =D>

Back