Tennis / Tour de France

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to cheer an Englishman, watch the Tour de France and give Bradley Wiggins a cheer. He's in the lead and stands a good chance of being the first Englishman to win the race. It's just as big an event as Wimbledon. ITV4 from 12 noon today. Another mountain stage so should be good :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":2ngmvena said:
..... It's just as big an event as Wimbledon. I....l
But about a hundred times more watchable, exciting, dramatic, etc!
No girls though. Pity. Selena would be good on a bike I reckon.

phil.p":1joorjs7 said:
I am Cornish first, British second, and certainly not english.

And there was me thinking that the Cornish and Welsh 'were' the 'original' Britons and if that is the case then they are also the Original british me-thinks? :mrgreen:

As for Le Tour, not only is Bradley in the yellow jobbie, but also our Chris Froome is in the polka dot one!! Bloody marvelous!

I have no idea as to how much courage and endurance it takes to do the job of work those guys do day after day. Plus, to get thumped about in an accident and get back on and ride to the finish!

Something that I find quite shocking is when you hear of such a lot of tennis players in their 20 who have had multiple injuries and operations to knees, ankles, shoulders and gawd knows what else! I just wonder what state they are going to be in 'if' they ever reach my age?

phil.p":1q8as25e said:
Murray has said that he shouldn't be called British, as he is Scottish - as such, I hope the miserable scottsman goes down in straight sets!
Serena 6-4 6-2

Double standards or what ?????????

The guy's just an ignorant, charmless t@t, and I will be happy to see him lose.

No comment #-o (homer) #-o

As I'm doing a bit of decorating, I just 'told' :-" :---) SWIMBO I need to turn off the power :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - Rob

I take back some of my previous comments :oops:

No doubt that the best player won or that Murray definately did his best and will learn from the experience but his interview at the end was an eye opener when emotion got the better of him and he opened up to show a side never before seen.
I felt sorry for the guy :shock:

Now.....don't get me started on F1 and that dangerous idiotic "driver" Maldonado :)

Bob

Agree with Pete, can't see Wiggins winning once Evans (and his team) gets going. Race of truth tomorrow and then the real race starts in the mountains.

Noel":1qdv20b6 said:
can't see Wiggins winning once Evans (and his team) gets going. Race of truth tomorrow and then the real race starts in the mountains.

I reckon the Sky team will be stronger than BMC in the mountains. So far BMC haven't been much use to Evans on the hills and he's been left to fight on his own. Wiggins should have the better of Evans in the two time trials.

Paul

Noel":3lun0fk4 said:
Agree with Pete, can't see Wiggins winning once Evans (and his team) gets going. Race of truth tomorrow and then the real race starts in the mountains.

Have you actually watched any of the tdf in the last 2 days? the Sky team DESTROYED BMC on both climbs so far, Cadel is top class no doubt but he has been on his own on all the climbs so far with his team trailing in the wake of the pace set by Sky. Wiggins kept on Cadel's wheel without even getting out of his seat even when Cadel kicked at the end on both days.

Now I do not doubt that it will be a tough fight but Bradley is the favourite (first ever British fav) as he and the Sky team are in form and have been dominating the year so far.

I think Sky are stronger than BMC as a team, but that Cadel possibly has the edge over Wiggins as a climber and a descender. Wiggins has the advantage of being a much better time triallist. If Wiggins can take a minute out of Cadel today all he has to do for the rest of the tour is stick with him - its up to Cadel to attack. Having said that, Cadel won last year by being consistent - Wiggins cannot have an off day! I think Wiggins can take it, but only if he takes a bunch of time in the ITT. I don't think he will be able to crack Cadel through climbing prowess. Dark horse - Chris Froome, Sky need to let him ride his own race if Wiggins cracks at any point, not to act as point to bring Wiggins in for a podium.

Steve

StevieB":2jfx8l34 said:
I think Sky are stronger than BMC as a team, but that Cadel possibly has the edge over Wiggins as a climber and a descender. Wiggins has the advantage of being a much better time triallist. If Wiggins can take a minute out of Cadel today all he has to do for the rest of the tour is stick with him - its up to Cadel to attack. Having said that, Cadel won last year by being consistent - Wiggins cannot have an off day! I think Wiggins can take it, but only if he takes a bunch of time in the ITT. I don't think he will be able to crack Cadel through climbing prowess. Dark horse - Chris Froome, Sky need to let him ride his own race if Wiggins cracks at any point, not to act as point to bring Wiggins in for a podium.

Steve

:?: :?: That's all double dutch to me :? :lol: :lol: Bring on the footy =D>

Judging by the emotions and comments on this thread, I'm pleased that I don't have a TV.

I get exited by real things - food, wine, friends, pets, sunsets that sort of thing, even the wife gets a nod. What a boring person I must be.

StevieB":38275ebg said:

Steve
Good post
+1

gus3049":8zcp5mrj said:
Judging by the emotions and comments on this thread, I'm pleased that I don't have a TV.

I get exited by real things - food, wine, friends, pets, sunsets that sort of thing, even the wife gets a nod. What a boring person I must be.
You just need to get out a bit more. Especially on a bike - France is bike riding paradise. Not doing it is inexcusable! And take the wife.
Then you could have a go at some of the Tour routes and it'll will all start making sense. Part of the pleasure of watching the Tour is the landscape, whereas with tennis you are looking at the same scruffy piece of grass day in day out.
I've done Mt Ventoux and some Pyrennean bits but not the Alps as yet.

cambournepete":3gjn50rm said:
I'd love to see Bradley win the TdF, but I very much doubt it will happen.
Looks like I got Serena's result right but score completely wrong - she was outclassed in the second set.
To return to the original subject (which appears to have magically changed :shock:)...
Also got Roger's result right but the score wrong.
At least Andy gave it a good go - I don't think anyone would have beaten Roger yesterday.
And as for those who say he's got no emotion... :roll:

Blistering performances in today's time trial stage by Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome of Team Sky, who finished first and second respectively \:D/ Cadel Evans still in second overall but lost time. Chris Froome in third overall.

Highlights on ITV4 at 7pm.

Paul

Yes Pete. I think Andy surprised us all.
It was a great game and he did his best against Federer on a day when he was just unbeatable.

Back