Tennis elbows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resting it when there's so much to do on a day like this (or any day!) is nigh on impossible

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_142728.jpg
    IMG_20220810_142728.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I was hoping someone would bring up Pavel Tsatsouline's book
or something or other.
I skimmed through it, only a few pages long, should be online, I cannot imagine it would not be found for free without any searching.
His videos are fun to watch, not that I'd do some of those strength training things, lol.
I was suggested this before, but never was too bothered with stretches for carpel tunnel syndrome which is likely related or the same thing.

I think a "powerball" or gyroball IIRC, is suggested for this also by some.
I never bought one, but would suggest trying one out from someone to see if it made difference as it works muscles you never knew you had and stretches everything.
Give it a look on YT at least, if even for fun, quite strange yolks.

Heavy mortising is the worst trigger for me in the workshop, and would make sure to keep warm just like my wrists.

Tom

I was hoping someone would bring up Pavel Tsatsouline's book
or something or other.
I skimmed through it, only a few pages long, should be online, I cannot imagine it would not be found for free without any searching.
His videos are fun to watch, not that I'd do some of those strength training things, lol.
I was suggested this before, but never was too bothered with stretches for carpel tunnel syndrome which is likely related or the same thing.

I think a "powerball" or gyroball IIRC, is suggested for this also by some.
I never bought one, but would suggest trying one out from someone to see if it made difference as it works muscles you never knew you had and stretches everything.
Give it a look on YT at least, if even for fun, quite strange yolks.

Heavy mortising is the worst trigger for me in the workshop, and would make sure to keep warm just like my wrists.

Tom
I've got one of those powerballs, bought it to try to strengthen my wrists back in the early days of scaffolding. Not sure it worked, but was fun trying!
I think the movement would just aggravate my T.Elbows.
Funnily enough, they feel better after I bit the bullet and just cracked on with some chainsawing earlier!
I may pay for it tomorrow.
Sitting on my phone for hours on end is the worst

I wondered what experiences people have had with this condition when it comes to working wood.
I've worked a lot of different jobs in my life, nearly all physical. I laboured for different trades when I was a youngster: plasterers, screeders, brickies, and I scaffolded for about 15 years.
Now I'm 43, and have tennis elbows. I think it was brought on when I went back to scaffolding a couple of years ago after having not done it for several years and expecting to be as fast as I was in my 20's. Then I worked making rustic furniture for a local company from scaffold boards last year and it got worse.
It's got better in recent months after lots of rest, but this morning I can feel it's flared up again - must be from yesterday when I was lifting crates of potatoes in a repetitive manner.
I thought it had gone!
I have a couple of questions:
Does it ever really go?
What are peoples experiences of it with handtool woodworking?
I would like to spend the rest of my life working wood and have to start learning to mill wood to flat and square by hand plane in September.
I do feel for you. Yes I have had it, got to the stage that even lifting my mug of tea to my mouth was painful.
Tried physios etc but in the end I resorted to a quartizone (sure that’s not how you spell it!) after the physio therapist I was seeing recommended a scan. I was reticent to have it but after speaking to the consultant I went ahead, best thing I have done, 3 yrs on and still pain free

I've worked a lot of different jobs in my life, nearly all physical. I laboured for different trades when I was a youngster: plasterers, screeders, brickies, and I scaffolded for about 15 years.
Now I'm 43, and have tennis elbows.
Mike, sorry to hear this. I am much older than you. I now try not to heave at things, want to get someting in/out the attic, I have a pulley and a rope. Tend to use levers rather than heave at something, use my sack truck a lot. Need to lift something heavy, get some help, etc. Son wants help moving furniture, first response is get someone else, then do it slowly, tie things round it to help lifting, (I dislike moving furniture, just a pet hate).

Seems to me you need to avoid doing things which put a strain on your elbows. Not easy at your age to mentally make the adjustment, like “I can no longer lift bags of potatoes”. Also work wise all your previous jobs have been very physical, scaffolding has to be one of the physically hardest of jobs. You may need to think about retraining to do a job which does not strain your elbows. The local electrician charges £400 a day, that is in Warwickshire not central London, not sure what strain that would put on elbows.

Last edited:
Mike, sorry to hear this. I am much older than you. I now try not to heave at things, want to get someting in/out the attic, I have a pulley and a rope. Tend to use levers rather than heave at something, use my sack truck a lot. Need to lift something heavy, get some help, etc. Son wants help moving furniture, first response is get someone else, then do it slowly, tie things round it to help lifting, (I dislike moving furniture, just a pet hate).

Seems to me you need to avoid doing things which put a strain on your elbows. Not easy at your age to mentally make the adjustment, like “I can no longer lift bags of potatoes”. Also work wise all your previous jobs have been very physical, scaffolding has to be one of the physically hardest of jobs. You may need to think about retraining to do a job which does not strain your elbows. The local electrician charges £400 a day, that is in Warwickshire not central London, not sure what strain that would put on elbows.
Thanks JonM. You are absolutely right, I've got to change my habits and ask for more help. Arrogant, youthful pride has to bite the dust!
I wouldn't know where to start with electrician training - but I'm starting a degree in traditional furniture making next month and it's what I really want to do, I'll have to work smart to not aggravate my arms. I'll never earn anything like sparkies do, but I will be happy

I had tennis elbow in the 80s and the cure was an injection of Cortizone I had it two or three time before they hit the correct spot had no problems since I had it very bad. But they must hit the correct spot which is difficult, maybe that is why the doctor is reluctant to do it.

Back