Tennis elbows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 70. My personal experience with tennis elbow and other repetitive injuries is that they will eventually go away, but you have to be sensible with what you do when you are suffering an attack. The human body is a miracle when it comes to repairing itself as long as there isn't an underlying condition and you give it a bit of help.
I used to be a competitive runner at one time doing over 100 miles a week and had lots and lots of injuries. I always said there was never an injury I didn't recover from, but some took weeks to recover.
I had really bad tennis elbow in 2005 from using a large nail gun at arms length when building my extension. That eventually recovered. I currently have a painful right shoulder, possibly a frozen shoulder. I still have full movement, but painful in some places. I keep going. I think it's very important to keep flexibility in an injury.
I currently average 130 miles a week cycling. I have had painful tendons in my knee which come and go. I had inflammation of one knee which eventually got better after a long time.
My approach is to focus on listening to my body It will tell me if I am doing something which is not good for it.

I keep going and keep using the injured joint, sometimes through a bit of initial discomfort/pain. If an injury gets more painful after a reasonable warm up time, I will take heed. If an injury gets very painful, I keep using the joint at a lower stress level. If the pain got severe, I would rest it.
I now take ibuprofen most times before cycling.
This is my approach, to soft tissue injuries. Everyone's body is different so what works for me, may be totally the wrong approach for someone else.

I am 70. My personal experience with tennis elbow and other repetitive injuries is that they will eventually go away, but you have to be sensible with what you do when you are suffering an attack. The human body is a miracle when it comes to repairing itself as long as there isn't an underlying condition and you give it a bit of help.
I used to be a competitive runner at one time doing over 100 miles a week and had lots and lots of injuries. I always said there was never an injury I didn't recover from, but some took weeks to recover.
I had really bad tennis elbow in 2005 from using a large nail gun at arms length when building my extension. That eventually recovered. I currently have a painful right shoulder, possibly a frozen shoulder. I still have full movement, but painful in some places. I keep going. I think it's very important to keep flexibility in an injury.
I currently average 130 miles a week cycling. I have had painful tendons in my knee which come and go. I had inflammation of one knee which eventually got better after a long time.
My approach is to focus on listening to my body It will tell me if I am doing something which is not good for it.

I keep going and keep using the injured joint, sometimes through a bit of initial discomfort/pain. If an injury gets more painful after a reasonable warm up time, I will take heed. If an injury gets very painful, I keep using the joint at a lower stress level. If the pain got severe, I would rest it.
This is my approach, to soft tissue injuries. Everyone's body is different so what works for me, may be totally the wrong approach for someone

This is my approach, to soft tissue injuries. Everyone's body is different so what works for me, may be totally the wrong approach for someone else.
Thanks Sandyn, that's the voice of experience you have there, for sure.
I guess only time will tell what I can get away with whilst managing it.

A lot of the time these science-based doctors are doing a job they really don't want to do, often they are doctors because their parents pushed them into it, wanting the status for themselves and their offspring.
Really? Have you asked a doctor? This seems a very broad ranging insult!
Naturopaths (and the like) are often doing a job they love and have a deep interest in, ...
A lot of them are downright frauds making money from the simple minded.

My physio wife (and keen tennis player) says you can try ultrasound or deep massage but often it will only right in it's own sweet time.
Brian

FE5B6998-E551-411B-AE4A-177AA246B8FD.jpeg
Look what I just found, unused and in its packet.
DM me your address and I’ll pop it in the post.

I got pretty bad case of tennis elbow last year when i spent a couple weeks ripping nails out with a claw hammer. Don't ask.
I avoided doing any more of that for 6 months and it's settled down. Even now holding the phone, I can feel it lurking there in the elbow so I'm pretty careful to avoid reptitive stress eg. using my other hand to pull nails if there are a lot in my way.
In 46. I also have a dodgy knee from a youthful hyper-extension comig back to haunt me. Even with calcifying knee and sore elbow, I'm still able to wipe the floor with arrogant young ju-jitsu and MMA guys who come to me for KM training, so don't let it get you down

Try an epicondylitus clasp- I have 2 of them that I wore for a couple of years on and off till mine improved and then again occasionally since. They really do work. First had acute pains in my elbows at age 25, now 58. The thing that really sorted my tennis elbow out was stopping repetitive movements- was in industry at time and constantly wielding a heavy hammer using right arm, leading to tennis elbow in that one; then I learned to be a lefty which helped my right until my left arm also developed it...... Eventually left that job, but it resurfaced some years later in right arm when I was using a PC extensively in another job- again changed to using left, again had trouble. I think some people more susceptible I'm afraid. Good luck with sorting but 100% try a clasp on afflicted arm(s) whilst suffering, it will go with change in activity.

PS do NOT go for the neoprene type support or clasp, waste of time, the best ones are a fibreglass hoop which fastens around upper forearm using elastic and velcro so you can vary tension.

Try an epicondylitus clasp- I have 2 of them that I wore for a couple of years on and off till mine improved and then again occasionally since. They really do work. First had acute pains in my elbows at age 25, now 58. The thing that really sorted my tennis elbow out was stopping repetitive movements- was in industry at time and constantly wielding a heavy hammer using right arm, leading to tennis elbow in that one; then I learned to be a lefty which helped my right until my left arm also developed it...... Eventually left that job, but it resurfaced some years later in right arm when I was using a PC extensively in another job- again changed to using left, again had trouble. I think some people more susceptible I'm afraid. Good luck with sorting but 100% try a clasp on afflicted arm(s) whilst suffering, it will go with change in activity.

PS do NOT go for the neoprene type support or clasp, waste of time, the best ones are a fibreglass hoop which fastens around upper forearm using elastic and velcro so you can vary tension.
Is it this white one?
Screenshot_20220810_083534_com.android.chrome.jpg

I have had severe osteo arthritis in my left elbow for years & it meant living with constant pain.
Then i got tennis elbow in the left forearm which actually hurt more! I had it 18 months.
Doctors were already talking about an elbow operation but decided to fix the tennis elbow first.
My doctor said no point having cortisone but was offered Platelet reinforced plasma therapy (PRP), The process is, they take blood from you, centrifuge it to concentrate the platelets & then reinject the thickened plasma at the site of the injury.
It originally started out as a vetinary procedure for horses but has migrated across to athletes & others.
It increases the healing rate by a massive amount & there are no side effects as you are supplying the blood.
I was sent for three injections first two a week apart third a fortnight after the second.
I nearly forgot to say the only problem is that they dont use any local anasthetic as they have to get it in the exact point where the pain is & the procedure is said to be extremely painful.
On my first injection the waiting room was full of mostly middle aged men & a few women & i was last.
The screams & howls of pain from the treatment room were quite sobering!
When it came to my turn the doctor poked & prodded & did the injection, I did not find it bad at all, maybe being used to the arthritis pain it didnt bother me so much.
The effect on the Tennis elbow was literally within 24 hours the pain had lessened & within two days it had gone completely. I have had a couple of slight recurrences since then but all went after a few days of rest.
PRP therapy works & if you have bad TE well worth asking your doctor to refer you to have it done.

Six months later i had an ok procedure on the elbow that did a pretty good job but thats another story!

I have to say having played sport all my life (football semi-pro), and having numerous injuries over the years, I have a similar outlook.
After finishing football - I took up tennis and at some point got tennis elbow, various people suggested various things, but being 'old school' I generally 'play through' injuries and the head coach where I play said this is exactly what I needed to do but just step down how much I was playing for a while and sure enough it went.
I tend not to go to doctors or take prescriptive drugs unless I have too, preferring as @Sandyn says and to listen to my body and do what I can, as he says this approach doesn't work for all but...

Padster

I have sporadic tennis elbow in both elbows, and play regular tennis...
I also have a wife who is a hand and upper limb surgeon - according to her there is not a lot that can be done - injections have other risks, and the best option is to manage the pain / minimise the use / use a support where possible...

I have had tennis elbow of varying intensity in my left elbow for nearly two years now. I also have the same thing in the thumb on my left hand. Nothing has really helped.

At it's worse it hurts to brush my teeth.

I tried various supplements and oils. No effect.

I have tried the bandages and pressure things. No effect.

Magnetic and copper bracelets. No effect.

Saw my GP who prescribed Iboprufen cream for six weeks which did seem to ease both my thumb and my elbow but it didn't get rid of the pain.

I had the injection in my elbow approx 8 weeks ago and for two days it was agony but since then I haven't had so much as a twinge. I hope that lasts. I also regained my grip strength pretty much overnight.

My GP wouldn't inject my thumb though as he said he thought I was too young and if the pain was bareable it was better to avoid any potential side effects.

My flare ups are mostly caused by my work and it's very difficult to avoid other than to use the other arm, which I do. That's the only thing over the last two years until getting the injection that has calmed the pain down... Resting my arm.

I've seen a couple of tips here I might try, like widening tool handles so thanks for those and thanks for starting the thread op.

On the subject of Sceintific medicine vs homeopathy. I have a story the opposite, although not so extreme as previously posted.

I suffer from Excema fairly badly and after a longstanding flare uo of that caused by the use of a hotel shampoo my GP recommended I visit a herbalist. This joker gave me a cream that essentially caused me chemical burns resulting in surgery under general aneasthetic. So I think there is probably good and bad in both camps.

Although there is a possibility that copper bracelets might help with some things, because copper can apparently be absorbed through the skin, I've never seen any viable hypothesis as to how magnetic bracelets would do anything. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd be interested.

On the subject of Sceintific medicine vs homeopathy. I have a story the opposite, although not so extreme as previously posted.

I suffer from Excema fairly badly and after a longstanding flare uo of that caused by the use of a hotel shampoo my GP recommended I visit a herbalist. This joker gave me a cream that essentially caused me chemical burns resulting in surgery under general aneasthetic. So I think there is probably good and bad in both camps.
Do not confuse homeopathy with herbalism or naturopathy. Of course there are herbs and "natural" remedies that work. Homeopathy is something else. I know people will swear blind that it works, or that it worked on their cat, who wouldn't have expectations, but stop for a moment to consider that some of the recommended dilutions would involve more water than exists in the known universe.

It seems everyone has had it,,myself included but I was lucky and it drifted away, my mate presently has it through playing Lawn Bowls,,no great effort involved in that compared to his manic digging of the garden but it brings it on, my doc said I could try a steriod injection or just wait it out, and one day I realised it just wasnt there.
Good luck.
Steve.

Back