Tendo Combination Machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the market to purchase a Combination Machine maximin price £2.000. I have seen a demo. of the Record Maxi 26 but I was not impressed by the pressed steel work tops. Some of the people attending had already purchased this machine but had gone to the demo to complain about faults the machine had developed, not a good confidence booster for me. On my return home I started searching the internet for other makes. Some were to expensive for my pocket like the Mini Max and others.I did find a company called TENDO TOOLS in Belgium. All there machines have cast surfaces 3 blades on the planer 2.5hp induction motors and 7 operations(like the Record Maxi 26.) and all for £1.800. I understand that Screwfix used to sell them a couple of years ago but I am now unable to find an agent in the U.K. Tendo Tools will sell direct from the factory and deliver to my home. My problem is, I dont want to spend that kind of money without seeing a demo,so I need help. If anybody has got one of these machines or seen a demo please let me know.
Best wishes Mike.

Hi Mike

Welcome to the site.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Tendo, but may I ask why you are after a combination machine?

Cheers
Neil

I have to admit I haven't heard of Tendo either. Although that doesn't mean they aren't a good make. Have you tried google? I did a quick search and had a look on their website and I do get the impression that

A) this stuff is being built in China/Taiwan
B) What about spares/service
C) I have never heard of them
D) Their combo machine doesn't look very "sturdy"

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I don't really like the look of their offerings. if I had that much money to spend, I'd want a something from a manufacturer with an established history. Sometimes getting something from an "up and coming" manufacturer means you get more of a bargain, other times, well........

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=527

This topic above might be of interest, as it will guide you towards the machines the users of this group use. I wonder if they are re-badged and sold under other brand names? Either way, I consider the lack of either positive or negative responses on the internet to be a bad thing.

I did a quick search and got this:
Tendo Tools TT210 combination machine
Anyone else got this machine? I'm struggling with mine - instructions
are badly translated from Chinese and somewhat skimpy. Would be
interested in comparing notes.
never heard of it. WHy dont you post a website or something so we can get up to
speed. What does it do and what did you pay for it? ANd why did you buy it? There's a website at http://www.tendotools.com/_engels/index.htm
but you won't get much useful info there.

I bought it on ebay because it seemed good value.

It does the usual stuff a small combi machine does, but unless you own
it, I doubt if you'll understand its idiosyncrasies.

Hi Neil,
At the moment I have the Scheppach HM1 planer, Spindle moulder attachment (this is powered by the planer) and a table saw. With this lot standing down one side of the garage I cant get the car in and I am fed up of moving one machine out to use it, then pushing it back to get another machine out.
Best wishes
Mike.

How about then!!!

Renting a new garage
Building a workshop in the back garden
Selling the car! 8)

I mean you gotta have space for woodworking!

adam

Below all becomes redundent - but useful for the future so I left it in!

I presume the Axminster is out of your budget?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=CX3101

If not how about:

Jet JTS250 or a Schppach TS2500 or Elektra Beckem PKF255 - all about £1300 with a few table extensions etc.

Planer Thicknesser - Eletra Beckem HC260M, or the Scheppach HMS260 (£600-£800 respectively)

These would give you most of the funcationality you need - and much higher 'quality' and you could buy a standalone morticer for £100-£300?

That would come in "just" on budget? If you were to buy the Tablesaw without the table extensions (I have one permanently folded down on mine) you'd save £200+ and that would be the best part needed towards a big router. You could make a router table yourself - as discussed on a thread recently. And that would do most work you are likely to put through the spindle moulder?

I know people here seem to prefer "seperates" and despite being the person with the smallest workshop here :cry: (just 10 x 8 ) I also, am following the seperates route.

Adam

Hi Mike

Right I understand your problem now. I think that Adam has covered all of the bases.

It seems Tendo is definitely one to avoid.

I've just remembered seeing a review of combination machines in one of the magazines. I'll dig it out for you, hopefully tonight.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":w6bzrnxb said:
It seems Tendo is definitely one to avoid.

I wasn't actually meaning that, rather, that I can't quite decide exactly what it is that makes me not "like" them, it's just a general feeling. 'Tis not my money after all!
They could just as easily turn out to be superb. I can understand Michaels reluctance to buy something you have never seen/had independent confirmation of, and in the same situation, I would probably turn to a manufacturer I knew. If necc, I'd save up the extra for the axminster. I'm starting to look into hiring a garage - just to get me some more space!! The roof rack, a trailor, etc are all big bulky things to store.

Adam

Michael Macconnell":l9vzast0 said:
I have seen a demo. of the Record Maxi 26 but I was not impressed by the pressed steel work tops. Some of the people attending had already purchased this machine but had gone to the demo to complain about faults the machine had developed, not a good confidence booster for me.
See? It's not just me :p

Hello Mike, welcome to the forum. You're off to a good start by eliminating the Maxi, and you haven't mentioned the rodent so it's looking even better... :wink:

Don't believe the hype about combis taking up less space, they don't. You have to get to all sides of it for a start, usually even if you're only using one function. I speak from experience 'cos even though I use the Maxi just for the P/T, it still has to sit in the middle of the workshop so I can reach the start buttton. :evil: If you have a level floor you're better off of course, but these things aren't lightweight so you'll be loathed to trundle them around too much. :shock: My personal view would be that going from seperates to a sub-£2000 combi is a backwards step. Now from seperates to a Felder, well that's a different matter... :lol:

But back to the question. Nope, never heard of them. At first I thought it was the dinky one Rutlands sell, but that's Tenka. Looking at them the design doesn't remind me of anything under another badge either. I wonder if it's any good trying to ask Screwfix why they stopped selling them? That worries me a tiny bit. :? Possibly an element of "too good to be true"?

Cheers, Alf

My main tool man stocks Tendo but only the bag type extractors and a couple of bench top items. I remember 2 things about them:

1) Lots of blue paint
2) Usual Chiwanese run of the mill stuff (suspect more China than Taiwan)
and priced accordingly.

I saw nothing wrong with them and haven't heard anything negative but when we're talking £1800 dabs and a combo machine with no UK backup it wouldn't be my first choice. Combo machines are waaaay too complex. If you're still in the hunt I'm pretty sure I saw a forum somewhere in the English speaking world discussing a Tendo machine. I'll go off and try and remember where....

Rgds

Noel

Odd, I was initially considering a combination machine last year. I was seriously looking at the Robland LX320 which looked as if it did everything that I wanted. But, because I only have single garage ended up going for separates that could be pushed out of the way. I seem to have a lot more room when not using machinery because of that decision.

Still can't get the car in though :(

Andrew

Do you really need to park the car in the garage??? Our cars don't know what a garage is....
Maybe I'm lucky living in the sticks.

Rgds

Noel

Do you really need to park the car in the garage???

I have to say that since moving out to the wilds of sunny kent ( 5 years ago) our jalopy has not seen the inside of our garage.

When we moved in it was used to store half our stuff while we worked on the bung a low, as it was in a right 2&8 and then it became my workshop.

The ole girl has stood out on the drive all that time without a complaint, not even a non-start. :lol:

As for combination machines. Seperates seem the best way for most for all the reasons given :)

O.K. My idea to purchase a Tendo Combination machine was a bad one. All your views sent me out on the road looking for alternatives. My existing machines (purchased 25 years ago)Scheppach HM1 Planer/Thicknesser complete with Spindle Moulder Attachment, Scheppach Site Saw(the motor on this unit has now burnt out)
New machines:
Axminster AW106PT Planer Thicknesser. I was able to use this machine at their shop, the finish on a piece of oak was as good as I have seen.
Axminster SK250T Panel Saw. Was not able to see this machine demonstrated but the layout looks good for my needs i.e. longer than wide, good for sawing longer planks.
I intend to keep my old Scheppach planer and spindle attachment set up as a spindle moulder.
Any further comments would be appreciated

Best wishes
Mike.

Looks like you've done some good research and made some nice decisions.

Have you looked into wheel kits to simplify moving them out the way to maximise the space?

Adam

Who doesn't need wheel kits in his workshop as their isn't anywhere to move anyway.

Hi Adam,
Yes I did
Option 1 Axminster wheel kits from £29.00 to £69.00
Option 2 Woodford Woodworking Machinery £29.00 complete with steel frame(best value for money)
Option 3 Screwfix Rubber tyre swivel braked £16.68 set of 4

Best wishes
Mike.

Back