Temporary Dining Table... Bodge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have been tasked with cooking for 8 this weekend. Thing is we can only comfortably sit 6 around our dining table. As a quick and dirty work around I thought about laying over a sheet of mdf/ply which is big enough for 2 extra places.

Question is, how to I secure the sheet so it doesn't tip or slide during the feast. The current table is nothing special but i'd like to protect it from damage if possible.

Or is this just silliness?

cheers

How about attaching battens to the underside of the ply that will sit just outside of the existing table top and at the same height that the top is thick then attach small peices of wood to the battens that will swivel under the table top. A table cloth over the existing table should prevent any scratches.

Andy

What about four small double sided sticky foam pads from B&Q?

Its not going to need a lot to stop this from moving around.

SimonA

I had the same problem. Used chipboard, battens screwed underneath it, either side of the main table to stop it sliding side to side. I found that there was no need for any further 'locking mechanism', as it's own weight stopped it tipping at either end. Just have to make sure no one leans insanely hard at one end...

:D we use to use drawing pins to secure the table cloths/sheets when i worked in catering just fold the corners round the edges then pin, it will hold.

martyn 2 :D

thanks guys, I actually have some anti slip matting... So why didn't I think of it!

As I'm only going up 2 places I don't think there will be much tipping risk.

Back