Temporary closing off a double garage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
My kitchen build having progressed to near completion, I have sadly had to move my temporary workshop into one of my oak outbuildings that I built 3 years ago. This one has been used as a quite large double garage and log store, and has loads of power as it is home to a Tesla charge point. I need to use it through the winter as a workshop, as it is close to the new kitchen and utility whereas my actual workshop is too much of a trek away.

I always intended to make oak doors, but they are some way down the project list (about 2 years off at this rate as I need to make six for the outbuildings when I go into production). Does anyone have any ideas closing off the front that will not be too unsightly and will survive at most 2 winters.

OSB looks horrible. Shuttering ply? Chuck up temporary stud wall? I don't want to waste money or time.

Adrian

OSB does look horrible, which is why it might be just perfect for what you intend. If you make too nice a job of it these "temporary" measures have a nasty habit of hanging around rather longer than you plan.

I just detest OSB, but Mike is right. I am not a bodger by nature, so it might be best to simply get 5 sheets of OSB and spray it an inoffensive colour (can you get "weathered oak grey".

My wife has already made it clear that I am not allowed to take over this building as a permanent workshop (I foolishly mentioned insulating it).

I thought this is what sheathing ply was largely invented for.
If you want to tart it up, you could varnish it.

edit - just had a vision of Caruthers shaking his head. Apologies if I've used an Americanism, but that's what my local building merchant call the stuff with one good side that won't immediately delaminate in the rain.

Last edited:
Shuttering ply, put some lines down it with track saw so it looks like t&g boarding and give it a coat of stain, job done.

Latest posts

Back