Tempertaure and humiduty digital reader?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Cheetham

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to get a digital temperature reader for my workshop.

My question is what other functions would come in handy. Like mayby humidity option etc?

Also any recommendations on products would be great.

I saw one on amazon (linked below) for £9.99. Reads temperature and humidity as far as I'm aware. Would this be any good?

ThermoPro TP50 Digital Thermo-Hygrometer Indoor Thermometer Room Thermometer with Recording and Room Climate Indicator for Room Climate Control Climate Monitor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H1R0K68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_KJW50PRDW67DRW2F01KA

Any advice would be great. Thanks

I kinda developed an obsession with RH, I have meters in almost every room.

I have one very similar to your link which consistently reads 9% higher than the rest.

Last edited:
Temperature is easy but humidity can be another ball game if you are seeking accuracy, the better ones use a chilled mirror system and some years ago we used Vaisala sensors and systems as part of our system to measure mass airflow.

I have a Chinese particulate (PM2.5/etc) air quality meter that also displays temperature and RH. It looks like this: PM2.5 Detector Module Household Air Quality Dust Sensor LCD Display Monitor DC5V 8889893321087 | eBay (but not endorsing that particular unit or seller – I got mine years ago on Aliexpress I think). The particulate (i.e. dust) readings are really useful to know when it's safe to take of your mask after a dust-producing operation.

I run a dehumidifier in the garage when humidity has been high – this reduces wood movement when you move finished pieces into the house.

Sensorpush bluetooth via Amazon. Good quality. Clean and reliable app.
Screenshot_20220127-221254_SensorPush.jpg

At the end of last year I bought a couple of the TP-55 (the next model up from the TP-50 I think?) and have been very pleased with them. One moves around the house to check on the operation of the central heating and de-humidifier, the other is kept in my workshop. They were about £14.99 each - so a bit more than you were planning to spend, but their large clear display was a no-brainier for me.

At the end of last year I bought a couple of the TP-55 (the next model up from the TP-50 I think?) and have been very pleased with them. One moves around the house to check on the operation of the central heating and de-humidifier, the other is kept in my workshop. They were about £14.99 each - so a bit more than you were planning to spend, but their large clear display was a no-brainier for me.

Yes I did see this one but im looking more for one with a WIFI connection as I dont trust bluetooth as even though it would be in range per say. I dont think it would work with having to go through my house stone walls then garage and then through to my workshop lol. Would like it so its always recording data so I can analayse it throughout the year

I have a Chinese particulate (PM2.5/etc) air quality meter that also displays temperature and RH. It looks like this: PM2.5 Detector Module Household Air Quality Dust Sensor LCD Display Monitor DC5V 8889893321087 | eBay (but not endorsing that particular unit or seller – I got mine years ago on Aliexpress I think). The particulate (i.e. dust) readings are really useful to know when it's safe to take of your mask after a dust-producing operation.

I run a dehumidifier in the garage when humidity has been high – this reduces wood movement when you move finished pieces into the house.

I like the idea of a particulate sensor. Any you know off that would work via wifi and have the temp and RH included aswell. I want something that records all the data so I can analyse throughout the year. Thanks

I have a ThermoPro and they are good quality devices, with a clear display. Use it all round the house. Humidity matches up with another humidity device I have.

You could always make your own and have whatever sensors you want!
I used a NodeMcu connected to a BME280 sensor on V1; powered by a solar panel and batteries. It worked through the summer but died in the winter. I have started on a V3 with a bigger solar panel but it was fallen by the wayside. Partially due to problems on the custom pcb I had made and getting involved in woodworking.
I sent the data through my hub and saved it on my website.
_MG_1602.png

This is V2 with a four pack lipo in the bottom. It can also work with capacitive soil sensors but they never seemed to be accurate.
It has an internal and external temp/hum sensor as well as a light sensor.
This one has a ESP-12F rather than a NodeMcu ( top ), light sensor front next to a reset button. The internal temperature sensor is on the board to the left.
It was fun making it but can also be very frustrating!

It hasn't been running for a year or so but there is some old data here: Greenhouse environment (rubblewebs.co.uk)
If you click on a graph, drag and let go you can zoom in.

Back