Temperature Monitoring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While you can do most of this with little prior knowledge of programming or electronics, owing to the wonders of YouTube/instructables etc., I understand that it can look quite daunting. But really, it's fairly easy to copy and paste bits of code and solder a handful of wires. You don't actually need to understand it to make it work...

While you can do most of this with little prior knowledge of programming or electronics, owing to the wonders of YouTube/instructables etc., I understand that it can look quite daunting. But really, it's fairly easy to copy and paste bits of code and solder a handful of wires. You don't actually need to understand it to make it work...
That's fine until you want to do something different or it goes wrong.

Plus, and this is one of my pet peeves, a lot of "tutorials" contain errors which reflect a lack of understanding by the authors.

I'm picky/borderline obsessive about this sort of stuff as I firmly believe tutorials should be exemplars, not hacks. In a past life I was professional architect/designer/implementor of extremely large and complex fault tolerant real-time systems (as well as ultra low power embedded systems), so I really don't like errors. e.g. in the MSP430 libraries & associated documentation from Texas Instruments, there were many errors/examples of bad practice. A lot of emails later, they were all fixed :cool:

Last edited:
I was writing embedded firmware over 45 years ago, but the OP just wants to record some temperatures, and may not wish to get too deeply into the programming side of things. I was just trying to be encouraging.

I was writing embedded firmware over 45 years ago, but the OP just wants to record some temperatures, and may not wish to get too deeply into the programming side of things. I was just trying to be encouraging.
...which is a very good point. You have to start somewhere and a step-by-step tutorial can get you up and running. I admit to being a bit OTT with some of this stuff - frankly, it might be much simpler for the OP to use Arduinos as the ESP stuff, whilst wonderful in the longer term, is probably overcomplex and not the easiest starting point for a neophyte...

It's like the old joke: "Q: I'm lost. How do I get to <someplace>? A: Well, I wouldn't be starting from here..."

Back