Tell me what your choice would be!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a retired but active woodworking hobbyist, using mainly small stock softwoods but sometimes ripping 65x65mm x .60m lengths but not often.

I'm looking at two bandsaws, the Record BS300 and the Lumberjack BS340 they are both the same price at £699. The Record looks to be more solid (I could be wrong) but the Lumberjack has a bigger motor by about 1/2 hp if I read it right.

It would also be interesting if anyone has either of these to hear their experience. You could say I'm a advanced retiree in my early eighties although as I say very active but with that in mind it would be very unlikely I would be able to change whatever I got so would be a one off. I know some second hand machines could be good value but there's also the chance they could be trouble so at my time of life I'd just like to unbox something that's going to work for me.

Really wood appreciate advice from the professional and amateur craftsmen among you and thanks.

I was going to say, buy a used larger machine, but I can understand, you just want a no hassle purchase of a new machine. I can't really advise which to get even though I have the Record BS350 and I really love it. I have no experience of other saws or the Lumberjack. I'm not sure how similar the 300 and 350 are, The band saw is one of the most used tools I have in my workshop. I'm sure you will get a lot of good information/advice. A good bit of advice is to change out the blade which comes with the machine and get a good one from Tuffsaws, once you get into serious cutting. Good luck with the purchase.

Hi @Sapper , I spent many weeks researching band saws of many makes and models and I went for the record power bs 350 -mainly due to the positive reviews on record power bandsaws and 5 year garantee etc. I was put off lumberjack as when also looking at a jobsite table saw the reviews for it were really bad on multiple reviews also I’d not come across there products prior to this . I agree with you regards 2nd hand machines unless imo you know the person selling it therefore you know it’s history. My money would be with the record power but that is just my opinion. To date I’ve had no issues with my bandsaw apart from upon delivery I had to have a friend ready to help me unpack it and set it up . Nb I also drilled out the mounting holes to take m8 bolts as the supplied bolts were as per several reviews too small ( approx m5 ) . I’m sure other more experienced members may have a different view . Hope this helps- hope I’m still going at 80 so good on you ..

The record does look heavier duty but I would go with whichever one gives you the best guarantee and that spares and accessories are easily available in the uk. In the past have had too many good tools that getting spares is problem.

I'd go with the Record. I wouldn't let the extra 350W the Lumberjack claims be a deciding factor personally.

If you want 'out-of-the-box' working and a reliable source to resolve any issues if they arise, Record is probably your route. Make sure you fill in all relevant registration details with Record when you get it. Oh and we need pictures when it arrives and you start using it, else it never happened. Them's the rules of the interweb I'm afraid.

Thanks for taking an interest and also for the great advice. I have to say, my gut feeling kept telling me, go Record you'll be OK, so all you've done is confirm what I wanted to do in the first place. Great helpful forum to be a part of, mind you if it all goes wrong, it's your fault :D

I did contact Tuffsaws as you advised in an earlier post and Ian there was extremely helpful. He recommended 3 blades which would pretty much do all I needed, thanks again.(y)

This old sod can't wait to get started, I'll be 85 in a few weeks and I'm acting like a kid at Christmas. All I've I've got to do now is convince her in the kitchen (bless the old Dutch) that it's really essential I have one. I might even make her that sewing box she's been after for years.

Stay safe.

Did I mention the record 350 is actually very quiet when running idle ,, it’s only when cutting timber the noise is increased ( depending on what timber you cut ) also loads of good utube videos online, although I’m not yet skilled enough the bandsaw boxes that can be made are simply awesome. They will look good next to the sewing box 🤗🤗🤗

The record does look heavier duty but I would go with whichever one gives you the best guarantee and that spares and accessories are easily available in the uk. In the past have had too many good tools that getting spares is problem.
The record is actually 5kg heavier than the bigger lumberjack!

2" isn't going to make much difference tbh.

I'd suggest the record unless your wanting to cut 4" timbers when you really want a big machine like 16-18"

+1 for the record.
I've been using the R 10" saw for nearly 20 years, and it had been excellent. Depth of cut on this small saw isnt ideal, but mine is a 10" so to be expected, and i am in the market for another.
My choice will probably be the 350 record power, mainly for the increased width/height, but also for the guarantee. 5 years is a long long time, and having that safety net i think is a good aspect of it.
I also like the 16" record power as its just a bit more expensive but much better capacity.

My other choice is the Axminster AC260B which is a 14" with 200mm depth of cut.
The thing about Axminster is they have their own trucks, so delivery is usually free, with record power it isnt.

I have the Record Power BS350S and have spent a lot of time and money transforming it into something close to the Sabre 350. After the modifications and new blades from TuffSaws, I am now very happy with this bandsaw. Had the Sabre 350 been available and I had known what I was buying, I would have skipped over the BS350S, but I would still buy blades from TuffSaws.

Which has the best guides ? .
The most issues I have had with my bandsaw is the guides being annoying (scheppach).
Which has the best fence system, this is another important detail that makes a big difference.
Throw away the blade that comes with it and buy a tuffsaws blade.

Ollie

I went for the record bs350 for the 5 yr warranty, the extra cut height even tho I’m only cutting 15-25 mm boards I wanted the extra power and the possibility of needing to cut bigger stock , re sawing small to medium logs . The fence also was a major factor as is (so far ) doesn’t wander. I’ve not yet invested in tuff saw blades but as it keeps getting mentioned I’ll probably will do at some point . My only gripe is the mitre slot is not standard and as yet I’ve been unable to source a decent precision one -if any members can advise me of quality gauge then pls reply . I use a incra se 1000 for my dewalt table saw which is faultless. Thanks all

Another +1 for Record. I've got the BS350 and had one issue which was the wheel kit, contacted Record and they sent out replacements parts straight away. 5 year guarantee can't ask much better than that. A very long time I bought from another tool from Lumberjack what a pile of cheap plastic, they might have improved who knows.
Geoff

I read near £700 for a pretty poor bandsaw. I suggest get a decent used scm or a hammer. they will be like night and day in comparison. every DIY bandsaw I've had is pig. when I first had my hammer it was like using a different machine.

I read near £700 for a pretty poor bandsaw. I suggest get a decent used scm or a hammer. they will be like night and day in comparison. every DIY bandsaw I've had is pig. when I first had my hammer it was like using a different machine.
Startrite???

I bought a Lumberjack BS305 (one down from the BS340 and after replacing the supplied blade with one recommended by Ian at Tuffsaws plus a complete set-up following some YouTube videos it has performed really well. I recently needed to resaw a 1.5m 150mm x 150mm green oak beam so asked Ian to recommend the right blade for my saw and it went through it like butter and perfectly straight. It's powerful and the dust collection drawer works very well but the fence, although straight and square, isn't the best to use and I intend to replace it. It's not the best but it is a good bandsaw for the price and does me a good job at the moment. I currently use it to cut 12 and 18mm birch ply and have made a few things for my upcoming new workshop.

I did a first impressions review here Lumberjack BS305 12" Bandsaw Unpacking, Assembly & First Impressions | UKworkshop.co.uk

I've never tried a Record BS300 but I've read they are good as the above posts support.

I hope that's useful

I use a startrite 301s for curves and its a later dark green machine. it's better than the Chinese stuff but still not the best.

I went for the record bs350 for the 5 yr warranty, the extra cut height even tho I’m only cutting 15-25 mm boards I wanted the extra power and the possibility of needing to cut bigger stock , re sawing small to medium logs . The fence also was a major factor as is (so far ) doesn’t wander. I’ve not yet invested in tuff saw blades but as it keeps getting mentioned I’ll probably will do at some point . My only gripe is the mitre slot is not standard and as yet I’ve been unable to source a decent precision one -if any members can advise me of quality gauge then pls reply . I use a incra se 1000 for my dewalt table saw which is faultless. Thanks all
I have the same Record b/s - have you found a decent gauge to fit the Record mitre slot? I still have not found anything - like you I also use Incra but of course it doesn’t fit the b/s! Cheers

I have the same Record b/s - have you found a decent gauge to fit the Record mitre slot? I still have not found anything - like you I also use Incra but of course it doesn’t fit the b/s! Cheers
Unfortunately not 🥲🥲 albeit atm can’t afford a decent mitre gauge , I guess a post on this site may solve this issue as several members have this saw . It would be nice to at least know where to get one from as the supplied gauge is pants 🩲..

Latest posts

Back