Tell me about circular saw blades !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awemawson

Reaction score
Along with my Dominion Super Elliot combination woodworking machine I acquired quite a few circular saw blades. Several are what I would call conventional, ie either a normal blade or a carbide tipped blade, but some are quite different. They have radial cuts for maybe 1/3 of the radius between teeth - various number of cuts but from memory only 3 to 5 of them so quite a few teeth per inter cut spacing. On some of them the cut has a portion opened up into a hole, with a brass piece inserted.

My guess is this is to stop ringing or otherwise modify vibration, but as I say it's only a guess and I'm hoping someone can tell me the real reason for these cuts!

AFAIK it is to stop the blade ringing or screaming as some do.
With the advent of laser cutting, some blades have quite fine S shaped cuts.

Bob

I'm not sure what you are trying to describe with the tooth shape/configuration.
perhaps a couple of pictures might clarify what you mean.
perhaps you are talking about the expansion slot which helped in reducing heat build up, which also may have had the brass inserts you describe.

The brass inserts were there to assist in sound damping the blade. sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt.

Back