Television adverts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just seen what must be the most gormless advert ever.
Question - how clean do you feel after using the loo?
Response - as clean as a man called David.

AS CLEAN AS A MAN CALLED DAVID AFTER TAKING A dung???

Is it me getting older and less tolerant, or are adverts just getting more and more stupid? I mean, really STUPID. And then there are those men in short trousers shaking their backsides.

K

The Gaviscon advert always raises an eyebow ...

"John and James get relief, but not always from each other ...."

Wait, WHAT?

We are getting a lot of the Liberte ads at the moment [must be sponsoring a programme]

I like to call this one Yogurt Trump.

yogurt trump.jpg

SWMBO doesn't laugh either. :evil:

Attachments

• yogurt trump.jpg
    yogurt trump.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 963
fiveeyes":wgt7vvwy said:
made you look,remember, and comment....sounds like they are working

So many people never realise thats what an advert is for.

...but none of those will make me buy the product. The opposite, in fact.

The 'Park' advert (where you get in debt for a whole year to pay for xmas) states that ''everybody got what they wanted, more or less''.

So which is it? Did everyone get what they wanted ... or did more or less everybody get more or less what they wanted?

''Nothing works better than Day & Night Nurse''

Did you mean, ''there is nothing better'', or are you better off just taking nothing?

Naz, the WHOLE point of advertising is to make the name famous and talked about. You instantly remember night nurse so they are half way there. Even if YOU dont buy the product, you have now told many other people about it. If only one of those decides you must be wrong and buys it to try it, they are all the way there.

The more contentious or stupid the advert, the more it gets talked about.
The only time advertising fails is if the ad is so boring that you cant remember the name.

sunnybob":mh8nxh16 said:
The only time advertising fails is if the ad is so boring that you cant remember the name.

Like that Ronseal advert where you basically watched the guy paint for 30s or so.

ok ok, so I remembered the name :p

There are in fact many different strategies that advertisers use to motivate buying behaviour. What you're mostly referring to above is brand awareness or corporate awareness which is designed to supplant the identity of the brand in the subconscious. The idea is simple, when you're at the supermarket shelf with a huge choice, research has proven you're more likely to pick a brand you have a previous association with (ie a subconscious bond albeit unknown to you).

The reason advertisers use the techniques they do ie stupid, humour, colourful, outrageous etc is because they are known methods to enhance memory recall. Memory is improved by anything which makes a big emotional impact. This also explains why Government funded campaigns to reduce deaths from various sources eg drink driving, cancer etc are often "hard hitting" because they want an emotional impact to motivate the behaviour change and have the images stay with you so it keeps motivating the change.

I used to work in TV advertising many years ago and the science behind the methods is fascinating. I recommend reading around the subject as there's plenty of published material and you'll come to realise the quite staggering extent to which our daily lives are influenced by advertisers. It's actually pretty scary when the penny really drops and of course the same strategies are adopted by modern populist politicians and in fact the media in general. Sensationalism sells and persuades. Rather horrible really, every now and then I'm tempted to retreat to a remote Welsh meadow and eat Lentils and don a hemp tank top. But the internet would be so slow....no crisps......cadburys don't deliver out there......

Watching daytime TV tells you:

Most women over the age of 30 are always wetting themselves.
People are either bunged up and need a laxative. or have the trots and need whatever you call the opposite*.

edit: *Costive according to mr. google

transatlantic":zu8uyfyb said:
sunnybob":zu8uyfyb said:

Like that Ronseal advert where you basically watched the guy paint for 30s or so.

ok ok, so I remembered the name :p
I can't see that name without remembering the complaint in "Viz" some years ago from a guy moaning that it didn't say on the tin that it would make his front door look like an African elephant had wiped its arrse on it. :D

lurker":eq7z5myw said:
Watching daytime TV tells you:

Most women over the age of 30 are always wetting themselves.
People are either bunged up and need a laxative. or have the trots and need whatever you call the opposite*.

edit: *Costive according to mr. google

Yeah ... you're constipated you dozy moron because you spend your days sitting on your behind watching daytime TV - get some exercise! :lol: :lol:

Since I've never found anyone who'll admit they're influenced by adverts, it's clear that the advertisers are wasting their money.

And yet the advertisers do careful surveys to see if their sales go up or down after the advertising campaign, and sales often go up.
They'll even run different ads in separate small areas to see which advert is more effective, before going national.

So, despite all the denials, "someone" is being influenced by adverts, but won't admit it, or perhaps don't even know it.

BugBear

According to Henry Ford, everyone knows that 50% of the money spent on advertising is wasted, but nobody knows which 50%.
A friend some years ago ran a cookware shop and I remember him telling me that the trade papers used to publish lists of what Jamie, Delia or whoever was going to use in a particular week's programme a few weeks ahead so they could buy stuff in in time. Sometimes they would sell twenty of something that they would only have sold one or two of normally.

Back