Telephone forums

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodMangler

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any forums to do with landline telephone handsets ? I'm getting 10-12 silent calls a day from overseas, and the ever-more-useless BT say they can't do anything to stop or block them, so I'm looking for a handset which can be set to not ring out (or answer and hang-up) if there's a unidentified caller.

Same here

"International" calls are the pain in our village - everyone is moaning about them getting several silent calls a dayand as you say BT DONT CARE!

Buy a referee's whistle, pick up the hand set and BLOW! If they can still anything after that it will probably be you beathing heavily! :lol:

Roy.

Digit":8s6qy2si said:
Buy a referee's whistle, pick up the hand set and BLOW! If they can still anything after that it will probably be you beathing heavily! :lol:
Roy.

They are recordings .....

Not the ones we get, most of them seem to originate from India and are definitely not recordings.

Roy.

Mine are mostly just silent calls - if you stay on long enough you eventually hear a voice say 'goodbye' and it hangs up.

There is absolutely no way to complain about BT, as we 'peasants' aren't allowed to speak directly to OFCOM - we have to go through our telephone supplier, who is (of course) BT...

Digit":3qtfystj said:
Not the ones we get, most of them seem to originate from India and are definitely not recordings.
Roy.

We are on Virgin Media and don't get many of these nuisance calls but those that we do get are almost always recorded messages in an American accent.

Our new handset displays caller numbers, the nuisance calls come up as 'International Call,' or 'Number Unknown.' So we can just ignore them.

Roy.

Digit":1eq8zyvs said:
Our new handset displays caller numbers, the nuisance calls come up as 'International Call,' or 'Number Unknown.' So we can just ignore them.
Roy.
Ours says "Out of area", but you have to get up and go to the phone to see it.

WoodMangler":168hv8ru said:
There is absolutely no way to complain about BT, as we 'peasants' aren't allowed to speak directly to OFCOM - we have to go through our telephone supplier, who is (of course) BT...

There is nothing to stop you complaining to Ofcom about silent calls or about the service you are receiving from BT http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/t ... lent-call/

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":e20crkxs said:
WoodMangler":e20crkxs said:

There is nothing to stop you complaining to Ofcom about silent calls or about the service you are receiving from BT http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/t ... lent-call/

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Although, I already subscribed to the opt out. It doesn't stop them, and the callers you can speak to just say sorry, then ring again another day! They are breaking the law, but who is going to do anything to them? Especially if they are in India?
:?

Paul Chapman":3sivkdfs said:
WoodMangler":3sivkdfs said:
Paul
Thanks - didn't know about that.

ETA: I have no faith in that - it promised a confirmatory email, but didn't ask for an email address to send it to...

we used to have one of those 'call blocker' services installed by the company on the line (i think it was when we had orange doing our landline and internet etc...) neat little trick - we recorded a very short message telling people to press '5' to talk to us, by the time these computerised call centres are connected the message has finished and they just hear a quiet line (the house phone doesn't ring until the appropriate number is pressed) after registering with the telephone preference service though we've had very little in the way of cold calls / silent calls etc...

jim

We were getting two or three every day silent and indian calls until we instaled an answerphone and in the three months or so since we have had it we have only had one message and that was from british gas telling us how to give them a meter reading, now we only get about one call a week it also has caller id so if we don't know the number we let it ring amd after six rings just as the recorded message kicks in thet hang up, wish I had bought one years ago.

Digit":1kclavum said:

Roy.

Ive got a air horn guaranteed to remove brain cells and anything else that gets in the way

We have some Panasonic phones with an Answer Machine base station which we keep switched on all the time.
The phones have caller display and two memory banks - one allows you to actually audibly record the name of the person calling and the other memory bank allows you to have a different ringing theme for different categories.
So if the phone rings, if it's somebody we know, we either hear their name or a friendly ring - other calls we can look at the number to see if we recognise it, if not it goes to the answer machine.
Very rarely do these unknowns leave messages.

We get a persistent one from Ringwood - which I've googled to find that it is Oxfam!
And another with "Number withheld" which used to ring several times a day - they seem to have given up now?

Rod

We are on call preference at home and when we get the odd cold call, I tell them that they are obviously a c**p company in financial trouble as they can't afford an up to date data base and the sales person should maybe thing about looking for a new job as the one they have will not last long.

They very rarely ring back.

At work I ask " who's calling" this always seems to through the Indian's off their script, if they tell me I then ask them what it is regarding, this normally confuses them even more, when they tell me, I say I am not interested and not to call me again.

When they do, I ask again "who's calling" and then say I will just put you through, lay the hand set on my bench and carry on with my work and about 5 mins or so later hang up.

The really annoying ones I have had recently is due to the fact my van insurance is due and a couple of years ago I used a comparison site, and my data has obviously been sold on.

I will never use a price comparison site again.

Tom

Latest posts

Back