Telegraph pay-wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I note the Telegraph, the first newspaper to have a web site in the UK (1993, not 1994 as they claim!), has finally disappeared behind a paywall today.

So that's probably it for me. £24/year per device seems, er, rather pricey, especially as I'd still have to put up with the ghastly adverts I assume.

Shame really. I wonder if it'll work for them or not. The Times is still bullish about the idea, but you do wonder if it's covering their costs.

E.

Eric The Viking":2ngzpv4g said:
I note the Telegraph, the first newspaper to have a web site in the UK (1993, not 1994 as they claim!), has finally disappeared behind a paywall today.

So that's probably it for me. £24/year per device seems, er, rather pricey, especially as I'd still have to put up with the ghastly adverts I assume.

Shame really. I wonder if it'll work for them or not. The Times is still bullish about the idea, but you do wonder if it's covering their costs.

E.

If you have a Waitrose within easy walking distance and spend £5 or more then you can get a free one.

The Sun is also reportedly heading in the same direction.

The Times did it some time ago, and I guess it must have worked for them.

WE do not have a daily (or a Sunday) paper and rely upon the internet to keep ourselves up to date. If that means just using the BBC then so be it. I will not be paying to browse news sites on the web.

I get my view of the (printed) news from reading the Independent, Guardian, Telegraph and Daily Mail every morning. Look as if my perspective is about to get skewed a little further leftwards in future...

Alex H":1hrb9q4l said:
henton49er":1hrb9q4l said:
The Sun is also reportedly heading in the same direction.
Surely that would be suicide :lol:

Not all payments will need to be money for that one, a box of fags plus topless pictures of your neighbour and a blow up banana will cover a fortnights 'reading'.

I'm not expecting anything. I stopped reading the Times when they did it.

That said, the Telegraph was the first British newspaper on the web, and it's been free to read for two decades. Other outlets manage to be funded by advertising, and you'd think the Telegraph ought to have it nailed by now.

The annoyance is because that would only leave the BBC site for news, which is pretty left wing. I'm not keen on 'tabloids'.

I'm not sure where (in print or on line) the Times makes what money it does make - it's losing £60m a year. The Grauniad and the Observer lost £44m. I suspect they'll all charge for on line eventually. Subscriptions should be cheaper - look at all the companies that profit from print editions, right through from the paper manufacturers, transporters, fuel suppliers, wholesalers and newsagents (and probably a few others), that are cut out by supplying on line.

Eric The Viking":3c51rlix said:
I'm not expecting anything. I stopped reading the Times when they did it.

That said, the Telegraph was the first British newspaper on the web, and it's been free to read for two decades. Other outlets manage to be funded by advertising, and you'd think the Telegraph ought to have it nailed by now.

The annoyance is because that would only leave the BBC site for news, which is pretty left wing. I'm not keen on 'tabloids'.
Tabloids not keen either, some are just comics, although their news columns do have a low fog index.

Back