tele sales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank

Established Member
Reaction score
had a good one today.phone rings tele sales there reps are in the area and would i like a quote for d/glazing ect ,i asked the wife to call me and then asked the tele sales to hang on a mo while i just go and see what the wife wanted .went back to watch the telly and finish my cuppa i know i am a little :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: devil ,now my phone is ex d where do they get the numbers from, but from now on thats how i will be treating this kind of phone call. what do you do :wink: :wink:

Hi Frank

You could always register with the Telephone Preference Service. It'll cut the number of those calls quite substantially but the effect usually takes a few weeks to kick in.

Those very few that get past the TPS usually get referred to my parrot :) .

Gill

I registered with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) years ago because of the number of such sales calls.
It takes a few weeks for your number to work through the system at which point any salesperson is breaking the law by phoning you.
They can get round it by saying they are doing a survey (which leads to a sales patter) so I just say OK and put the phone on the side so they waste their own time talking to thin air.
I have lost count of the number of calls I have had recently with an American female voice offering me a free holiday.
They expect you to press number 9 to contact them.
This also gets hung on the side.
Most use a mobile network when they phone you so you cant find their number by dialling 147.
As mobile calls are far more expensive than a landline I let them pay for the time they spend while my phone has not been hung up.

thanks folks have just registered with tps ,i wonder how long it will take for the indian call centres to stop :roll: :wink:

Sorry to disappoint you, Dewy, but landlines can have their CLI (caller line ident) withheld as well..so it's not necessarily a mobile.

Frank...doesn't matter if you are ex-directory. They have a computer that dials the numbers 0207 402 0001, 0207 402 0002 etc

The TPS is good but I don't believe it covers people calling from outside the UK. Just ask them 'Do you know what number you just called'. If they say 'no' feel free to question their parentage.

TPS is very good, but not the entire answer. I don't think there is a definitive firewall (short of unplugging the phone), but there is also one other weapon in your armoury.

I was getting that same annoying American woman telling me I had wona holiday in Florida. Tracey, I think she said her name was. But I digress.

After several in a short space of time, interrupting my work, I called my phone company to ask if there was anything they could do. They offered to bar all calls which do not have Caller ID. This doesn't catch them all, but it's very rare now that one gets through.

The downside is that anyone who does want to ring legitimately, and whose switchboard suppresses Caller ID, gets a message telling them that I do not accept such calls, and is not put through.

Cheers
Steve

I don't accept calls from withheld numbers either, which makes some legitimate callers a little irate. I usually ask them why they withhold their number to which they answer so that telesales companies can't get their number (don't really understand that, but that's the answer). I reply that I don't like them either so don't accept withheld numbers!

For what it's worth, if you dial 1470 first, your number is 'un-withheld' and cures the problem. It would be helpful if the message you get was to tell you this so that real callers could choose to do so.

When i get these calls I say that I am extremely interested in having whatever that they have to sell me, I really would like it, how soon can they come round and fit it etc etc. When they get all fired up thinking they have a live one I say that it is pobably best if they deal with the nice people who are liquidating all my assets.
Goes all quiet.........
Regards
Martin

If SWMBO answers the door or telephone to these sales people her reply is "the lanlord is too tight" must be me she is on about. The result is a very short phone call or visit.

Les

Years ago I worked with a great guy (sadly deceased) called John 'Wacker' Greenwood. He had bought two semi-detached houses and proceeded to knock them into one.

One day, door-to-door salesman calls at semi 1. Wacker opens the door and says quite nicely 'no thanks and to save you some time the bloke next door's not interested either'. Of course, salesman does not listen, walks back up garden path, down pavement, back down next doors' path and knocks on door.

Wacker opens his second door and says, with a grin, 'Told you he's not interested' :lol:

Another good one for putting off D/Glazing & suchlike is the phrase, "It's a council house". Kills 'em stone dead. You usually get the return phrase, "Oh! sorry to trouble you". They've hung up in seconds.

Cheers, Sliver.

Latest posts

Back