Tekna K156

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am hoping in a few months time to have my own space to work in, ( not out side or the kitchen :( ). I haven't got a lot of room in my garden so a small shed will have to do, that means space is at a premium.

I saw this Tekna 6 in 1 woodworking center in a old rutlands catalogue, and was wondering if anyone has used one and if they are all that they say they are. Having not much cash to spend I would like to get it right first time not waste what little money I have. Any other suggestions are more than welcome. Hope someone can help.

SCOTT :D

I had the same thought when I started looking at stuff and couldn't find anyone to comment. I then saw one, and thought it looked so toy-like that I didb't bother to give it a real opportunity. It didn't look half as good as it does in the pictures. I'm not saying it isn't good, but I would be very sure to see it in the metal, and not buy it mail order. Honestly, I suspect it it is trying to be too many things for too little money, at least that was my conclusion. It is tinier than it looks in those photos, too, and flimsy in a sheet metal way. I think machine mart stock them, used to nayway. Go and take a look at one at least. I think the money would be better spent a basic tablesaw (bandsaw, someone will say), a router, etc.

Hi Scott

The general view, I believe, is to avoid combination machines if you are short of space. You generally need space all around the machine to allow each of the functions to operate.

Adam is your man when it comes to space, he is the the master.

Do you have any workshop planning software?

Cheers
Neil

Scotty

if it is the one sold by Machinemart (I think it is) then I have seen it many times in our local shop. To be honest, it has not impressed me much at all. However, I have never used one and so my opinion is based purely on looking around it.

I think 'toy like' sums it up nicely

Scott, there are a few observations on the Tekna in the archives, if you haven't already had a look. A search or two on "Maxi" and "BestCombi" should give various views on combination machines per se too. With a limited budget, you might find it worth while looking at better quality hand held power tools first. Of course what you get really depends on what you want to make...

Cheers, Alf

Scott

I'd have to agree with previous comments. My local DIY shed sells these things and, although I've never used one, it just doesn't look like "proper" kit (IMHO).

Hi Scott,

You might like to consider the Triton system - its not a combination machine but provides a workstation approach that has many admirers.
The Triton is made in Australia, there is a user group forum that you may find interesting on:-
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au
Just look for Triton Owners/Users link on that forum.

Using the search facility on this forum for Triton will also link a number of threads relating to Triton although most seem to focus only on the router!

Some of the bigger B&Q stores stock the Triton system so you may be able to have a look see.

HTH

John

Thanks for the help all, sorry I have been so long in replying ( long weekend if you know what I mean :wink: :wink: :D )

I think the Triton work station could be the right thing for me. Would you advise their tools or something different? Thanks agian

SCOTT :D

Scott

I only have one piece of Triton kit, their router, and it is an exceptionally well engineered and accurate piece of kit that I expect will last a long time

When I was looking for a start in wood working some seven years ago plus, I thought of buying a combination machine but through going to a wood working show in Birmingham and winning a Triton Superjaws I did not go down that road.

Instead I started selling the Triton 2000 system. It is a great product and has a few short comings but basically it cuts wood accurately if you take time to set it up properly. The Triton Sliding Extension Table is a good piece of kit, much underrated and under sold and can be used with the router table as well. The router table, the original Work Centre 2000 router table is good and basic, the current one is better in some respects but it really depends on what you want to do.

If I was starting out now and depending on my budget I would buy a SIP Cast Iron Saw Table @ £500.00 and a stand-alone router table or build my own or at least buy the main constituent parts i.e. the top and router plate.

Back