Tear out when drilling holes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had the same with various Brad points until I bought an Alpen dowel drill bit set, absolutely perfect entry every time no tearing, still good to have a sacrificial piece on the back though.

Yes these Japanese Alpen bits are good, I brought some Forstener bits and drills from Ace fixings in Penrith, never heard of the make before but gave them a try and they deliver, well pleased.

If you run the drill backwards for a couple of rotations, or even turn it backwards by hand, the bit scores a nice circle. When you run the drill forward, that should give you a clean entry hole.
Absolutely right, that works well with brad point, lip/spur and originally brace bits too.

Sharp, quality bits at higher speeds with light pressure will work well. An initial experiment with a Fisch Brad point and a hand drill on decent birch ply showed I almost had to hold back as it was so sharp it dug in fast and did start to raise the wood around the hole. Used with light pressure, let the tool do the work, it sprays a fountain of chips and leaves a clean hole.

Alpen UK are proud to be the sole distributor of Alpen Drills in the United Kingdom. Manufactured exclusively in Austria,

I stand corrected, where I got Japan from who knows!

Alpen UK are proud to be the sole distributor of Alpen Drills in the United Kingdom. Manufactured exclusively in Austria,

I stand corrected, where I got Japan from who knows!

👍

I have a few of their drill bits,...Their Multi purpose drill bits that can be used on a large number of different materials are superb.
I use them for drilling in brick & blockwork walls ( no hammer action!) and they are excellent. Can be used on tiles, Quartz, Granite as well as loads of other materials.

that looks like quite a bit of kit, does it clamp and tack at the same time, like an elaborate stapler?
Yes frame is clamped into the unit and you put the push in V nails on the lower block (magnetised) pull the lever and it lowers the frame onto the V nails and drives them in, bought mine second hand on e-bay for about £80.00 if I remember correctly.

If it a jig for continuous use it should be made from quality materials and to an exacting standard.
All holes should be drilled before final sizing.
A jig is an example of your finished work, if that is sloppy.... guess what your customers will think

Back