Tealight makers dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see both sides of this debate and I really think that the jury is still out on whether it's necessary or not. I'd also venture that the necessity of candle cups is also pretty questionable unless the user to totally stupid and/or careless.

I'm reminded of a building inspector telling me that I needed to protect the end of an oak lintel I was inserting into a joist hanger screwed to the outside of a chimney breast wall. I questioned his dogma by pointing out that immediately below the joist hanger was a softwood door frame that had been there for at least 100 years which showed no signs of charring. Luckily he was convinced by the logic and I didn't have to muck about protecting the lintel.

The cautious response to the doubt in the tealight and candle cases though is probably to put a fire-proof barrier in there, especially if it can enhance the item. In essence following the spirit of "Pascal's wager". This is what I do in practice...

...but if someone wishes to fit a warning label instead telling the user not to leave them unattended, which is, or should be, common sense in any case, then I'd be the last to criticise.

Jon

Bodrighy":1k4g77nl said:
What wood was your friend testing and what was the wax in the t lights? Both can vary and make a difference. As t lights are often left unattended I would suggest that it is a potential hazard that simply isn't worth the risk. Some t lights especially ones imported are made of paraffin wax that burns at a much higher temperature. Paraffin wax without additives ignites at about 200 degrees c. without additives it is about 250. try subjecting wood to that sort of heat and see what happens. Most cheap t lights and candles are made of this wax not the lower burning soya.

Pete
I really don't want to have a dispute or extensive debate about this topic. I just offered the advice I have been given as information for other turners.

I'm prepared to rely on the opinion of a man who has spent a lifetime fighting fires, dealing with fire safety, and managing fire services at a senior level. If he tells me, as he did, that wood is an ideal material to separate tea lights from flammable materials I am happy to accept his advice. After all, he's an expert and I'm not.

I will pick up one of your points The ignition temperature of paraffin wax is not actually relevant; the temperature of the hottest part of a candle flame is nearer 1400 degrees C. I think you will find it difficult to ignite any substantial piece of wood by holding it in a tea light flame. You may be able to char it if you can hold it in the flame for long enough, but that isn't a fire. A wooden tea light holder is not exposed to the flame. It is separated from it by distance, by paraffin wax, and by an aluminium cup, the aluminium cup being the non-flammable container required by regulation. The advice I have been given is that there is no risk arising from a fire being caused by a tea light igniting a wooden holder. I am using "risk" in its technical sense and I'm happy to accept the advice.

By all means fit your tea light holders with glass cups, but I think it would be wrong to claim that doing so is a safety requirement.

My brother had a bathroom catch fire from t lights in wooden holders. The firemen who attended and extinguished it told him not to be so daft to use a flammable holder! I'll continue to use glass inserts in mine because I don't agree with your experts advice. My brothers fire was pretty scary and his experts (counter) advice was also a fireman.

The wood turning community has always recommended non flammable inserts and even if there is low fire risk, charring is in and of itself a good enough reason. Talk about taking an unnecessary risk!

Apart from anything else they look better in my view. Rather like a painting is improved by a frame

Hi all, my first post on the forum, so be gentle guys :)
I've only been turning for a few months and tea light holders seemed to be a good starting point to me.
I've been using metal inserts from Yandles, which are cheap enough, but can't seem to find them anywhere else, so just as well Yandles is only a
few miles away!

I would post some pics of my first efforts, but can't suss out how?

andygc":221656o6 said:
At the risk of being abused as I was in another forum - I have discussed wooden tealight holders with a recently-retired senior fire officer who has personal experience of attending a fatal tealight fire. His unequivocal advice was that there is no need whatsoever for a barrier between tealights and wooden tealight holders. He went on to say that he considered wood an ideal material to separate tealights from whatever other surface you want to put them on. He considers my wooden tealight holders to not represent a fire hazard. They don't have inserts.

Thanks for that. I had planned to make some tealight holders, but had never considered a need for inserts.

They are dearer than the original IKEA supplies but if needs must, need to check dimensions, can't find any details.

Last time I was at Yandles all the metal holders they had were for the larger 60mm? versions so just cautious on the size of these.

To fuel the fire (aayyye) as a jeweller I used to keep a tea light on to light torches quickly. For a period I would sit them on my bench peg (off cut from an old wood window frame)
It duly caught fire about 8 months ago with a tea light from a pack I'd been using for months perfectly fine. Wasn't a big fire but it was definitely a fire (and no it was not caused by the torch igniting)

Hi Chas,
I have just been looking for tealight holders not the ones that you want ,but I did fine the ones that you are looking for (I think) could not find a item number but the seller is Kentcandles,£7.95 for a set of 12 free P&P.The more you buy the price comes down.

Peter

phil.p":nh9u90ju said:
"the temperature of the hottest part of a candle flame is nearer 1400 degrees C." - Chipmunk
There you go, gandy - you don't need a torch to melt your silver and gold, just a candle. :)

Silly me :mrgreen:

My first few efforts using the metal inserts from Yandles. I'm quite pleased with them, but nowhere near the standard of you guys on here!

039_zpsxcakuqeq.jpg

P1050434_zps0si11gcq.jpg

P1050435_zpsvbtoxmmk.jpg

023_zpslk7glxds.jpg

Is it the Glimma Tealight holders you were looking for in Ikea, pack of 12 for £2 ? bought a load there at the weekend, they still seem to have a couple of boxes left, would be happy to pick up a few for anyone interested, & I can either post at cost or I'll be in Leeds in a couple of weeks if it suits any better.

Lexx":p8h0uirl said:
Is it the Glimma Tealight holders you were looking for in Ikea, pack of 12 for £2 ? bought a load there at the weekend, they still seem to have a couple of boxes left, would be happy to pick up a few for anyone interested, & I can either post at cost or I'll be in Leeds in a couple of weeks if it suits any better.
Those are the ones, did it look like they were just running stock down or bringing them back as regular stock, Bristol had none when last there and they dropped off their web site.

file.php

They looked end of line, a couple of boxes almost hidden inbetween the square ones with no signage, I had read your post a while ago so was surprised to see them, I'm prepared to buy the lot if theres enough interest, and will ship them out at cost, but don't want to be left sitting with a load of them.

Back