Tealight for a secret santa

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Knocked this up quickly for the wife to put in as a secret santa at her work.

DSC_0008-2.jpg

Maple band sawn sanded and the hole was drilled with a brace and expansive bit, tough stuff that Maple.

Pete

Hi, Chaps

Thanks.

Mike

The maple that I used was a tapered offcut clamped in the vice with another piece to hold against the back jaw. I just set the compass to make an arc that looked right and fitted in the the available wood, I guess about 150 to 180mm.
I can measure it exactly if you want, I might still gave the compass mark in the bench :oops:

Pete

Nice, Pete. Very stylish.

Racers":2536x69h said:
...the hole was drilled with a brace and expansive bit, tough stuff that Maple.
Yeah, I bet; rather you than me. :shock: What sweep size were you using?

Hi, Alf

Just a 10" sweep, I do go the the gym so its not to much of a problem, but I used a small expansive bit not my big one and I could see the shaft twisting.
I have picked up a 38mm flat but so it shouldn't be a problem any more.

Pete

Racers":219qqu2b said:
Hi, Alf

Just a 10" sweep, I do go the the gym so its not to much of a problem, but I used a small expansive bit not my big one and I could see the shaft twisting.
I have picked up a 38mm flat but so it shouldn't be a problem any more.

Pete

I've got a 1 1/2" centre bit, reserved for this very purpose...

BugBear

I've got a drill press and some forstners for this sort of thing... :-$ 8-[

But honestly, I'm impressed the expansive bit did the job - I'd have (incorrectly) assumed not.

Hi, Alf

I did a 3" hole in an oak table for an umbrella with my big one same brace and 2 people to hold the table still!!!

Pete

Alf":3b6utlu9 said:
I've got a drill press and some forstners for this sort of thing... :-$ 8-[

But honestly, I'm impressed the expansive bit did the job - I'd have (incorrectly) assumed not.

I see what you mean - using an expansive bit. set to a large size, in hardwood generates forces that strike me as "unpleasantly high", especially on that tiny blade and its rinky dink holding screw.

BugBear

Yes, 'zactly that. It's pushing the limitations in a big way; further respect to the expansive bit, which doesn't really get the love it might do. (Sorry, Pete - I will cease to hijack now!)

Hi, BB+Alf

Don't forget its held in a V as well as the screw, I was worried about the twisting of the shaft.

Pete

Back