Teak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got hold of some teak off an old carpenter who was selling up. I have too much for what I need and I have a couple of lengths I was going to sell roughly 5ft x 14 " x just under 2" - roughly as I have measured all the boards. I know teak is quite pricey (having spoken to a couple of sawmills). Any ideas if there's a market for it or what it's worth? I have to fund the purchase of my new table saw somehow! He assures me it was teak and not iroko. If there isn't a market for teak, I'll hang onto it.

Teaks market lies with the boatbuilding fraternity mainly. They like long lengths for things like rubbings on the sides of the boats. Also very popular in the 70's for all manner of furniture.
Teak is pricey due to its rarity - endangered species = less of it = more money!!
Now other timbers have taken over the gap so value settled of a bit. Not the easiest of woods to deal with due to it's oily nature causing problems for gluing and finishing.
Someones bound to have a use for it though.
Steve.

It will also dull your knives in seconds since it's loaded with silica. I sometimes think carbide knives were developed specifically to handle teak. Excellent wood for outdoor furniture though.

Hello
only just seen this post so delay in repleying

Nick M":1xxo4bpt said:
It will also dull your knives in seconds since it's loaded with silica. I sometimes think carbide knives were developed specifically to handle teak. Excellent wood for outdoor furniture though.

I too have some reclaimed TEAK and have been using it for some time
my planer thicknesser is now fitted with carbide knives to cope with the silica,
My problem is resawing on a Basato 3 the Dure-Edge blades don't last at all and was thinking of carbide tip bandsaw blade, has anyone had experience of tipped saw blades and know of any problems ie not able to tension enough also what tooth pattern,
the size of wood is approx 155mm x 45mm in 1500mm lengths

Nigel

Back