Teak Supplier North West

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neocleous

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have some tiered garden furniture that I think is made out of teak and some of the components need to be remade.

Does anyone know of a timber yard that sells rough sawn teak in the north west?

Thanks

No but I know the furniture was expensive when my parents bought it and it’s certainly hardwood. I have no idea how I would find out for sure though.

I had a similar project a few years back, certain it was teak-alike not teak (mock teak, Meak?).

Having priced up what I needed I saved lots of money by buying new garden furniture. Sad comment on reuse-recycle thinking but sometimes fixing stuff just doesn't make sense.

Depends how much you need to patch it up I guess.

Best solution is to try and source some old science lab bench tops- usually made from iroko which is a close relation of teak. Often the tops have a loose tenon of plywood bonding them together but with judicious marking out this can be worked around. It’s disgstuff to work with - carcinogenic dust and splinters that inflame the skin but it’s resilient and lasts for ages. It doesn’t seem to matter that wood has been used indoors. We have re slatted several benches and tables with excellent results 10 years on

May be Iroko (poor mans Teak) Still plenty of that around. Most Teak is plantation type now and not as tough as older stuff

Seem to remember Iroko being called 'Irish Teak ' back in the day. I used to quite like working with it, I remember building a large footbridge out of it - one the customer could drive a ride-on lawnmower over. I believe it was used for the planking on the replica of the Golden Hind back in the early 'seventies

recently spoke to a neighbour who's a teacher at a school, he tells me they throw away old teak science benches and replace them with metal ones, it's worth getting in touch with some teachers.

Liverpool is a major port for tropical hardwood imports so there will be some around in the N W . Try boat builders/ repairers and ask which yards they use.

Hi everyone,

I have some tiered garden furniture that I think is made out of teak and some of the components need to be remade.

Does anyone know of a timber yard that sells rough sawn teak in the north west?

Thanks
Give Richard Potter timber in Nantwich a call - They have all sorts of hardwood timber at a reasonable price 01270 625791.

Back