Teak Cabinet - knobless

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Just added the shelves to this piece:
Teak Cabinet 001 (426x640).jpg

Made from teak veneered ply with solid door frames, finish is just a heavy coat of teak oil. It still needs some handles/knobs added. The stainless ones I had were too large and I think it needs something shiny in the centre instead of wooded ones.
Teak Cabinet 002 (425x640).jpg

It's the first time I've used teak and it's probably going to be the last, it's eye-wateringly expensive, the material that only just covered the door frames was £35 and as you can see, I still ended up using a slightly scabby bit on one stile. It blunts tools after a few swipes and leaves nasty splinters in your hands to go hunting for later on in the day with a pair of tweezers. However, it finishes fantastically, sand and oil to leave a defect free finish in minutes.
Teak Cabinet 003 (640x426).jpg

I used commercial cabinet hangers from Hafele, it does mean you need to leave a large (20mm) gap behind the back panel, but together with nice strong metal wall hangers you can just drop the cabinet onto the wall, level it off and tighten it onto the wall in a matter of a minute or two. The holes to allow access to the adjustment screws have been plugged with mushroom-head plugs friction fitted into the holes.

I think the knbs are going to have to be turned from aluminium, that'll be a nice messy job!

Aidan

Attachments

• Teak Cabinet 001 (426x640).jpg
    Teak Cabinet 001 (426x640).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,389
  • Teak Cabinet 002 (425x640).jpg
    Teak Cabinet 002 (425x640).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,382
  • Teak Cabinet 003 (640x426).jpg
    Teak Cabinet 003 (640x426).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,302
Nice job Aiden, the veneer worked out well. I still like teak and it's one of my favourite timbers...I totally agree about everything you've said about it though. As long as you know before hand that you're going to be sharpening plane blades every three minutes, it's fantastic stuff - Rob

Nice Job Aiden well at least Aluminium is soft to cut, but I like the idea of Ebony ones?
Dark brown seems fashionable at the moment - my younger daughter is "updating" a house they moved into last Spring and gone for Walnut stuff in the bathrooms.

Rod

Nice clean job there - don,t spoil it with blingy chrome though - some nice ebony or even stick with the teak will suite it much better.

Rog

Very nice, but I can't help feeling the topic title is insulting me when I read it. :)

Back