Teach me please- Apoxy resin fir small projects.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manxnorton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place :oops:
Anyways, got thinking about the apple wood candle holders that cracked. :idea:
What about epoxy resin to fill the cracks.
I would love to do small projects and one is a chopping board using the apple discs.
Ok got no idea the best Epoxy resin to buy in UK, and food safe, cast resin etc etc.
Any help and advice be great (links pics etc good for me!)
As you know I don't just jump in, but like to research b4 spending money for tools etc :lol:
Hours and hours on YouTube sent me crazy...so many nice projects =D> =D> =D>
Looking faeward to help, as im keen to get into this form of the hobby.
ATB
Bri

Hi Bri,
Nice to see you broadening your skills. I do think that you may find epoxies very difficult one handed. Not due to your adaptability etc but just due to the time constraints. It is one area I would recommend assistance. If it's just a small amount not a problem really using the stuff that comes in little tubes. On bigger stuff where you are covering a top or filling a large gap/whole and using the stuff that comes in tins etc help would be of benefit. Even I get help when doing this.

The best overall resing i have found is called "water clear" you buy the tin and have to order the activator seperately

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/res ... resin.html

This stuff can also be coloured using dyes and even coffee if you want and you can also add powdered bronze etc for metal effects. It all can get very messy but is fun to see the results. all the best

Droogs":2e71howl said:
Hi Bri,
Nice to see you broadening your skills. I do think that you may find epoxies very difficult one handed. Not due to your adaptability etc but just due to the time constraints. It is one area I would recommend assistance. If it's just a small amount not a problem really using the stuff that comes in little tubes. On bigger stuff where you are covering a top or filling a large gap/whole and using the stuff that comes in tins etc help would be of benefit. Even I get help when doing this.

The best overall resing i have found is called "water clear" you buy the tin and have to order the activator seperately

This stuff can also be coloured using dyes and even coffee if you want and you can also add powdered bronze etc for metal effects. It all can get very messy but is fun to see the results. all the best
hallow m8,
Thank you so much for the advice and the link, i'll look better when im able to chill. =D>
Just out of Hossy, so the injections are finally kicking in :lol: :lol:
Yeah always wanted to try this, only time is when I was custom knife making with the two part epoxy :oops: hyperventilating everytime….as I only had them 5 mins jobbys :lol: :lol:
All new ball game, taking time for prep and setup is my game.
See If a dry run on every phase I can sort.
Don't worry, as far as lifting and moving heaver weights, I've had to have double plus strength on my good arm.....mind it looks like popeyes arm and the bad one looks puny #-o
But as you say, I will always ask for help.. =D>
Loooking fwd to ordering the stuff from you link.
And of course plenty of questions, if you don't mind :lol:
This will prob happen after Monday, when I get back to the man cave.
One question is when your doing yours Weight or volume :?:
sorry it may be obvious to some people......but it is Brian :lol: :lol: :lol:
Once again, im chuffed for the link and help.
ATB
Bri

I find it easier to do weight rather than volume, mainly less thinking involved and easier to read a digital scale than an etching on the side of a tub or stick. Also don't have to clean the stick after :)

If it is smallish amounts you want, the epoxy sold by pound land is very good. It is in a double tube so you should be able to squirt the two parts onto a mixing board with one hand (only guessing mind). It's certainly cheap enough to experiment with.
Other thing I suggest is warming the wood up with a hair drier before you apply the glue then hair drier the glue after applying it in place, this makes it very runny but the down side it cures faster.

Thank you all,
I’m using my mobile today to reply, so it’ll be an experience lol.
Reading up and researching as much as I can this weekend before I venture into it this next week.
Think it’ll be a ‘board’ of some style with small wood disc :!:
Not coloured resin..and look at the prep of the mould etc..we’ll b4 opening the bottles...
With me! Treble check everything lol.
Catch you all later.
Happy weekend
Bri

also thinking about your condition, the one I got from poundland has a single plunger thing so it's 2 in one, it distributes both parts of the epoxy in one go, then you can just mix it instead of two seperate tubes.

I like using an old credit card for mixing epoxy, and definitely use a heat gun or hair dryer in the gap before pouring it in, improves curing time, best of luck with it.

:evil: :evil: :evil: took me ages to reply and when I submitted lost it...must of took too mush time etc.
Oh well!!!
I was going to say that all could change, as my brain cant fathom out numbers, weights, measurement, volumes etc. like I used do. :oops:
This fine example is this kit (not the link mind sorry) says 1.5kg kit.... :!: :!: :!:
Righhhhhhttttt! not til I opened it found its tiny. #-o
nkccmuj.jpg

At lest got a coulple of mixing pots :lol:
Ok with the small projects 2:1 ratio (resin-hardener)
I'll need to find a online calculator as my first project WAS going to be 2' x 2' x 1.5"...…
Ok the item i'm going to put in the mould changes it... :(
Off I go researching....
Reckon end up cofused as ask loads of questions #-o
TBC
Thanks for following my journey :lol:
Bri

Told you!!!
Havent got a 'Scooby's' 2' x 2' :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Got a smaller board to try.
I4BmQ03.jpg

First calculater o found. :roll:
vWRtUFW.jpg

hmmmmmmmmmm!!! think my brain is going to suffer!
so.....now coffee and chill :lol:
Ssh0jD9.jpg

TBC
Bri

Got a quick and friendly email from
Must say for all I didn't buy there resin they help me big time =D>
I think as i'm rubbish on online shopping and getting the best deal, i'll have to watch out :oops:
I'm not :mrgreen: resin etc is quite expensive, look at the kit I bought!!! well over £30 all in...a couple of small projects n its all gone.
Imagine making a 6' life edge river coffee table..... #-o #-o #-o
So, of I go from the advice I got...2.5kg resin.
wait for the answer with the hardener, got confused yesterday #-o
so my brain cut off.....Info overload.
jfuIFTN.jpg

hmmmmmmmmmm. :?
With already a 1.5kg kit already (think you know where i'm going!!!I
Both 2:1 ratio. =D>
Think that's better.
gkhseYf.jpg

Well enough brain fragging!! off to a local wood recycle place, see whats the Bobby Moore. :lol:
Catch you all later.
Bri

getting a decent grain anyways.
N7TNtzc.jpg

A lot to do to finish the mould.
Don't know if the shiny tape helps.
Told silicone sealer is good for sealing the mould.
Thinking 2.5cm depth...not sure, i'll see.
mphssUM.jpg

Thanks for bearing with me =D>
TBC
Bri

Spray the frame and sides with silicone, the resin is a pig to remove otherwise. Also when you pour as it is too big for a pressure pot have a small flame gun or heat gun handy to remove the bubbles.
Watch the brown parcel tape, I used it to hold a mould together and the resin touching it did not set?

Lazurus":1uhftnwt said:
Spray the frame and sides with silicone, the resin is a pig to remove otherwise. Also when you pour as it is too big for a pressure pot have a small flame gun or heat gun handy to remove the bubbles.
Watch the brown parcel tape, I used it to hold a mould together and the resin touching it did not set?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :!:
Thank you so much for the advice mate, apreicate it. =D>
got a email from the company that parcel tape would be ok :? :? :?
'Did not set' :?:
Eving if I heat the mould to room temp or higher...using my temp controlled fridge to keep it right temp :?:
like this one...but new one, with better holding. :lol: :lol:
O3jJVkb.jpg

Good for a few slurps at least!
novged1.jpg

Not as cold like! but you get the idea #-o :lol: :lol:
gDEkuhM.jpg

Bri
off to get silicone sealer and a blow torch =D>

Tinkering whilst make a cuppa.. :wink:
20mm thick..
nWmxXll.jpg

Views be great =D> and luminous dye wall art for my sis's art studio...maybe :lol: :lol:
Bri

nearly finished sealing the mould properly.
5WBYFL0.jpg

level as I can.
o4pVSRo.jpg

What better way to carry on working in the workshop, specially dust #-o
A customized curing temp controlled chamber!! also ventilation :wink:
At the same time Carbing up lagers for a customer at 20C. :wink:
sVXqds3.jpg

Here we go, resin just arrived.
So tomorrow morning is D-Day.
9sjzMj4.jpg

Any thought before then I'll appreciate them.
Bri

Hi all,
bad day to start the project :evil:
postponed as a visit to the hospital checkup for least mon-Tuesday.
Better to be safe than sorry.
TBC
Bri

Back