TCT Planer Knives - Anyone using them??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
As many of you probably know I am running an Axminster TH410 Thicknesser using the standard HSS resharpenable knives that come with it, I also have two more pairs so effectively one setin the machine, one away being sharpened and the third set as a back up.

Anyway working in the burr oak that I am currently using the knives are losing their edge quicker than my wife can eat chocolate, and boy can my wife eat chocolate! :mrgreen:

The sets of three knives cost £40 and roughly £12 per sharpen (£4 per blade)

My question is whether the TCT knives that Axminster sell costing £135 for a set are worth investing in - does anyone out there use TCT knives in their thicknessers and what is the life of the blades like compared to HSS.

Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Rog

We have used TCT knives on a Weinig 5 head for about 10 years. We only do a cutter change every 2 to 3 months compared to every 2 weeks with HSS. TCT does not start out as sharp as HSS but the cutters will keep going for a long time. We mostly machine hardwoods ie iroko, oak etc and it copes with them very well. Keep a beady eye on staples that the wood merhants love to stick their tickets on with, they chip TCT!

Robin

Thanks for that, you have confirmed my thoughts and think that TCT is the way to go!

Cheers

Rog

Roger, you don't mention what type of hss steel knives your using or how much your planning off in a pass You can get M2 steel ones which are better than the standard knives, even better is the M42 HSS one's for even more durability.

As Robin says the TCT knives are Ok, but are not as sharp, the cut quality is not as good, but they last a good deal longer. If the knife catches anything remotely too hard the knife can literally shatter, really very hard knots can cause this sometimes.

ProShop":1ba2iikk said:
Roger, you don't mention what type of hss steel knives your using or how much your planning off in a pass You can get M2 steel ones which are better than the standard knives, even better is the M42 HSS one's for even more durability.

As Robin says the TCT knives are Ok, but are not as sharp, the cut quality is not as good, but they last a good deal longer. If the knife catches anything remotely too hard the knife can literally shatter, really very hard knots can cause this sometimes.

Hmmm i was thinking that - the burr oak I am working in at the moment is as hard as F**K and I reckon would chip the tct blades to pieces

Maybe M42 - will make some enquiries

Cheers

3rd option is also Stellite, there are blades made from that (even more expensive than TCT), but can anyone tell the practical reasons why to use Stellite?

Rog

I get my knives made by the company who do my sharpening up here, and the ones I have made last at least twice as long as the Axi ones that came with the thicknesser and the ones they sell.

I am planing a lot of hardwood like you although not Burr Oak which I guess is going to be tough on any knives.

I can't remember if they are M42 but they are good and cost me about £75 per set of 3.

I tend to keep the Axi ones as an emergency back up now, for those moments when you hit something in the wood and have forgotten to send of the other good set for sharpening.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'm waiting for my local supplier to get back to me with a price for M42s but if he is more than that I might ask you to let me have your suppliers details

Cheers

Hi Rog

Spoke to my supplier as you made me remember to get them to collect my sharpening.

My knives are not M42.

He said they are 18% alloy which I think means they are M2 but as I said are a lot better than the Axi ones.

You can tell when you get them back from sharpening, the ones I buy always feel a lot sharper than the ones I got with the machine.

The sharpening costs are the same for both so if you get a longer running time out of them it has to be a worth spending the extra money.

I don't know if a would buy TCT though as a little stone in the edge of a waney board could be expensive.

Tom

I have used TCT knives but find, as suggested, that HSS give a better finish.
Yes, TCT last longer, if you don't hit anything! I use a lot of reclaimed timber, I'm tight and I get it for free, and it's more likely that sharpening will be required for that reason than bluntness. Also, I sharpen my own knives, and HSS is easier to sharpen that TCT knives, plus the better finish.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back