Taunton Book disappointment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I am involved in a couple of projects which involve more intricate ornamentation than I am normally exposed to - hence previous posts on gooseneck moulding and library books.

I have several of the Taunton guides which I find are clear and useful reference guides. I already own the 'Shaping' one by Lonnie Bird but thought that because of these projects, it wouldn't harm to get the 'Period Furniture Details' one as well. It will be going back! I think that in just under 140 pages there are less than a handful of elements that are different to those published in the Shaping book - and when I say 'different' I mean not reprinted with the text and photos either exactly or slightly different photo order.

Very annoying indeed!

Cheers

Tim[/url]

Tim, What taunton is putting out these days can be very hit and miss but a great deal of missing at the expense of quality, to churn out more profits.
Trying to gain a wider appeal by dumbing down the writing, a common American trend! The whys and true insight never show their face.

I would like to add Sandor Nagyszalanczy to your list for recycling of information with little real substance. The book "setting up shop" is a poor overview. A few glossies of David Ellsworth, Wendell Castle and Sam Maloof but they contribute what so ever to the books title.

Compare the work coming out now to the work to Scott Landis did in 1987, in his The workbench book in which his research and knowledge is just fantastic.

I will just have to write my own book one day!
Mark

porcupinewood":1b5rd8vk said:
Trying to gain a wider appeal by dumbing down the writing, a common American trend!
Mark

Ooh...I can see it now. 'The Dummies Guide to Shaping'...why use ten words when a thousand will do :lol:

Seems a pity-Taunton stuff always "looks" so good! :roll:
Had the "Complete Finishing" book to go with a couple of the others-very pretty to look at but just not enough to READ :lol:
And lets not start on the infamous "reprint" volumes-perfect (unless you actually buy the magazine-then a waste of money)
Cheers
Philly :D

Latest posts

Back