Tapered Spindle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sisyphus

Established Member
Reaction score
In a moment of madness I told a model-making pal that I could make a mast for his ship. He then told me it was 27 inches long and measured 12mm at the base and 8mm at the tip.

Given that my lathe bed usable length is only about 22 inches I have a wee problem. I found that I could get a piece of 12mm dowelling through the headstock and make it secure with engineers' jaws so that end is OK. The other end will go through the tailstock, which gives it some support, but due to the length, it whips all over the place even when holding it. I then found that dowelling was no use as it is not strong enough for the mast. I found a piece of Meranti in the garage and thought that this would be OK given some 40grit paper but it is really too hard for this approach.

Has anyone any thoughts as to how I might get the job done and what kind of wood would be suitable?

Sisyphus

How about making it in two halves, joined with a headless nail and some epoxy or superglue. You should also be able to match the grain almost perfectly. I frequently make walking sticks this way.

I've built several model yachts and always found the easiest way to make a mast is simply to plane it, either freehand or using a taper jig, it takes minutes to get the rough shape then finish with sandpaper.

You don't say whether it's a sailing model or static, for sailing yachts I use either Sitka Spruce or Douglas-fir, if it's static then it really depends what he wants it to look like.

This is a replica Victorian Pond yacht that I built a few years ago, the mast and spars are all D-f and all hand made, most of the spars are double tapered, it only took a couple of hours to make the lot.

Amelia4.jpg

Lowlife":1pfrbn59 said:
I've built several model yachts and always found the easiest way to make a mast is simply to plane it, either freehand or using a taper jig, it takes minutes to get the rough shape then finish with sandpaper.
I have to agree- I've made barrelled (double taper) arrows for clout archery, and by far the easiest way is by hand - I use a spokeshave rather than a plane, though.

Thanks for your comments. I'll try the Douglas Fir first once I have found a supplier in Glasgow. If I can't get anywhere on this I will give the two-section suggestion a go. I like the idea of a trapping plane, a tool of which I have never previously heard. Probably a bit of a luxury for a single item although it might encourage me to start furniture making.

Back