Taper Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corset

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making a table/vanity table in oak at evening class among a few other projects at home and i have hit a problem.
My leg sections are 7.5cm square and when cut on the table saw ground it to a halt so i think i will have to use the large bandsaw. Anyway i want to keep the the first 15cm square and the rest of the leg tapered on four sides (though i may end up with just two) but i cannot figure out how to cut the last two sides if you do not have a square reference. Please help as i will end up planing it all by hand otherwise and i only get two hours a week. Any advice will be utilised with thanks.

You could keep the tapered offcuts and temporarily fasten them back onto the legs,which would give you a square edge again.

But open to better suggestions :D

Andrew

Power tools method is the usual way of doing it. You could also make up a sledge type jig that holds the leg at each end and at an angle to the bandsaw fence, rotate the leg 90 degrees and pass through the saw again.

Most table legs are only tapered on the two inside surfaces otherwise the table can look topheavy.

Jason

Would it be worthwhile making a dedicated jig just for the one project? I agree that PowerTool's suggestion is probably the most practical way to do the job.

Gill

Fine Woodworking had this tapering jig in a recent issue. I made it and consider it to be one of the best and safest jigs I've ever made and used. I'm surprised how often I reach for it. Better still, it will do 4-sided tapers easily.

Taper%20Jig.jpg

If you go to http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt115.asp, you can watch a video of it in action.

Cheers, Garrett

The tapering jig that Garrett uses has a locating pin so that when you come to the final cut the pin gives you that extra support.

This is in addition to the holding pressure exerted at the other end of the jig.

Cheers
Neil

PS Garrett, yours looks even better than the original.

Thankyou for your ideas i think i will build a sledge and probably just two sides but that jig does look tempting.
With regards to 7.5cm square i had a bit of an over engineering moment. Cutting the planks into strips was a nightmare. But at least it won;t snap easily> :D

When you make your sled(ge) make sure that you put some stop blocks otherwise there is the risk that your leg will move as it goes under the thicknesser...sorry if Grandma's suckin' eggs :lol:

Back