Tape measure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamM

Reaction score
I have dropped another tape measure, and it has shattered Does anyone have a strong views on a replacement? Looking for 3m or 5m ideally, with a metal case. Thanks

I like my Stanley FatMax. It has bounced numerous times with no discernible ill effects.

Correction: it is a Stanley Tylon and the case is plastic and rubber. It is 8m / 26’ long and one of my most frequently used tools. It is accurate too.

Last edited:
I have used every tape measure going and in my opinion these are by far the best, the belt/pocket clip is brilliant.

https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/H...AGF7HEhzrFOPg0NvkZtB8SPOgwmNiPBoCseUQAvD_BwE#
Class 1 rated, many other tapes (for example all Stanleys) are only Class 2, does it make a difference, who knows but always good for a heated debate! ;)

Edit : Just seen you wanted a metal case, this is only plastic but you won't be dissapointed!

Timely. I just bought the Hultafors TALM3 3m Talmeter Marking Measuring Tape from Amazon.
I wanted accuracy and internal measuring, so that I don't have to bend the tape.
It arrived yesterday. Seems well built, but if dropped it would bend a lot of pointy metal bits that make it useful and accurate

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0041YQFY6/

personally I have always got by with any cheap and cheerful measure that comes to hand, however I've always been under the impression that fatmax (as opposed to the lower end Stanley) are the gold standard

I really like the Advent visa versa tape I purchased not long ago from Toolstation.
I really liked this tape , the vice versa comes in really handy . The only downside which did bug me , was the double hook on the end .
My tape I use now is a 5m Tajima-class A
It’s not a metal case but a superb otherwise

I have dropped another tape measure, and it has shattered Does anyone have a strong views on a replacement? Looking for 3m or 5m ideally, with a metal case. Thanks
Adam, daft question but what do you want to use it for?
Around the house I keep a cheap 3m.
In the workshop I always buy any comfortable to hold rubber bodied 5m. I don't know how important the accuracy rating is as in the final stages of a make I build things to fit and not to a size.
When I was doing the bungalow refurb it was any cheap 8m for the building work.

Colin

I rather like the very minimalist and retro 3m Stanley Sweetheart tape

Still have me dads Stanley.....
I can buy a realy heavy but plastic 3m tape for less than €3euros....
tend to buy em 6 at a time....I leave them all over the place......
suprisingly how handy a tape is by the computer....

Adam, daft question but what do you want to use it for?
Colin, not daft at all...i am really looking for multi-purpose benefits. I am building a green oak barn, so it will end up with me up a ladder and get dropped + general carpentry + cabinet making. I always used to like the steel cased Stanley tapes, but they have stopped making metal cases. The Fat Max appeals, but I find the tape too wide.
It seems a bit extravagant, but maybe I ought to get 2 or 3. Thanks again for yours and others' advice.

Colin, not daft at all...i am really looking for multi-purpose benefits. I am building a green oak barn, so it will end up with me up a ladder and get dropped + general carpentry + cabinet making. I always used to like the steel cased Stanley tapes, but they have stopped making metal cases. The Fat Max appeals, but I find the tape too wide.
It seems a bit extravagant, but maybe I ought to get 2 or 3. Thanks again for yours and others' advice.
If you like the Fat Max then check out the Stanley Tylon, it has similar styling but not as chunky.

Back