Tantalised Roofing Battens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finished the red cedar shingled logstore finally. In the end I didn’t bother with the plywood or the Tyvek just attaching battens across the supports and nailing on the shingles with SS annular nails. I used a contour gauge to fit the top row into the stone wall as near as possible. Finished the project View attachment 119031View attachment 119032View attachment 119033View attachment 119036View attachment 119037by slate-hanging the gable end so any rain now washes straight onto the shingles. I bought the American Red Cedar shingles from the importer. The grain is so narrow as the US - grown trees grow so much slower than European cedar giving much better weather-proofing.
It's a bit small.... !🤣🤣🤣

Nice job!

Cheers James

Vertical battens onto to sarking through to rafters, breathable membrane stapled onto vertical battens, horizontal battens across membrane at correct gauge (spacing) and cedar shingles and ridges nailed with stainless steel nails.

That looks lovely and maybe I am being daft, but I do not understand why the membrane is between the vertical and horizontal battens rather than under the vertical ones.

That looks lovely and maybe I am being daft, but I do not understand why the membrane is between the vertical and horizontal battens rather than under the vertical ones.
It's because I installed t&g sarking and needed to sag the membrane slightly and also create a vapour gap. This is what the shingle supplier instructions say to do but it is a moot point, some say lay the membrane directly onto the sarking and double batten over that giving a 50mm gap. It has held up very well so far.mind you.

Latest posts

Back