Tannins in sawn oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angusaki

Reaction score
Hi, I've bought a few slabs of sawn oak from a mill to use as shelving. They've got brownish tide marks which I know are tannin stains, I thought it wouldn't be too much bother to shift them. So far, I've had a go with oxalic acid which has kindof worked but there's still noticeable marks. I was wondering whether would putting them through a planer work? As in, would it reveal a fresh surface? I ask as I don't have a planer, or does anyone have any other ideas to remove them? Thanks alot.

I once bought Oak veneered MDF sheets and on the way back to the workshop a sudden rain shower caused spotting all over the top sheet, bit of a nightmare to get off but as was said sanding did the trick.
But on rough sawn planks it will come off when you plane it.
No planer does mean that your going to be more muscled than you were before, but as the wood emerges it will be worth it. Ian

Yes warm water and scrubbed, but doesn't get rid of the tide marks entirely

I asked, just because my personal experience has been that unless you use hot water it isn't as effective.... when i fist used oxalic i made up quite a bit and found the effects dropped off as it cools, so it's better to make smaller batches 👍

Back