Tambour doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a client who would like me to make a couple of cabinets with tambour doors to go in her kitchen. She doesn't however want the proprietary stainless steel ones and so I will need to make them - no prob if they are wood but there is a possibility that she will opt for a painted finish (undecided at the mo!).

My question is therefore, if she does opt for a paint finish, will there be obvious wear marks (irrespective of lacquers etc) because of friction after a relatively short period? These obviously won't show on finished timber but she isn't looking for a distressed look!

Sorry, one other thing, there may be alternatives to tambours that could be used but she wants to keep the workspace in front of the doors clear and doesn't want to move stuff to have to open them ie when a door swings open. They are about 4ft tall so a flip up option is out as well.

Cheers

Tim

I reckon it'll be OK to have a painted finish. When they are pushed in and out, they are only going to have contact with the tambour backing, which being soft material will probably protect them quite well.
I don't think any wear and tear between each tambour will be a problem, as I'd have thought this would only be exposed by bending open the tambour, and why would you do that!
Obviously try to get her to go for unpainted wood... :wink:

Thanks Aragorn - agreed re unpainted is better - its not a budget issue - its more to do with aesthetics and fitting in with the existing units - I think she will go for the natural look though.

T

Back