Tally Ho

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's my usual Sunday morning treat with a cup of coffee as Leo uploads the bi-weekly video on a Saturday evening our time.
I've not missed an episode yet...! Well worth a watch, even if you aren't into boats. 👍

Interesting video

How much did he end up replacing?

One if the few larger Albert strange designs.

Most were canoe yawls.

Cheers James

Laying in a new keel stem to stern on an existing boat ... Most people would have just given up and torched it! Interesting couple of episodes on lofting (old style) I think he could have done a quicker and probably more accurate job with some CAD software, but Leo is definitely a bit of a traditionalist

Started watching a couple of months ago, takes a while to catch up but well worth it. Went to see Pellow as just up the road but already in water.

One of the interesting "discoveries" for me was live oak. Never heard of this species. What a shame we can't seem to get hold of any here in the UK. Fantastic properties that would make it ideal for furniture work

it'll be interesting to see how his legal challenges pan out, I think what he's done so far is amazing, and arguably an improvement on the original boat, shame about the neighbour and council who want to end the project.

What are his legal challenges?

Someone wants him out?

Visa issues??

Cheers James

a neighbour has complained about the noise, local county want to try and shut down the project or force him out, it was in the latest video if you need more info about it.

Bump. EP 109.

Will this boat ever get finished :LOL: Attention to detail is one thing. Mad obsession another. Great series though, and looking forward to the rest of the internal fit out.

Laying in a new keel stem to stern on an existing boat ... Most people would have just given up and torched it! Interesting couple of episodes on lofting (old style) I think he could have done a quicker and probably more accurate job with some CAD software, but Leo is definitely a bit of a traditionalist
Yes but you'd still have to translate it into full size drawings, layout etc. so unless you have a boat size printer or planning to do it all by CNC you might as well start the trad way.

Im on ep72...
Great series and lots of cool kit, love that ship saw!!

I guess it doesnt matter how long it takes, this has become his job and with the support he has managed to get, the end result will be worth a fortune ( plus being an incredibly cool boat )
He's obviously been both smart and lucky with the video series and will no doubt have a good name for himself when customers want work doing etc 👍

Two other good YouTube channels to watch if you're into boatbuilding are:
Acorn to Arabella
Salt and Tar
Both of these are good. Acorn to Arabella is interesting as they actually source most of the timber from their own land. So you see the whole process, felling, seasoning and final installation

I do watch another channel called Sailing Yaba. All about a boat being rebuilt in Brazil. I'm afraid the young couple have been conned a bit by a commercial boatyard. The carpentry standards are not that good. Plus inappropriate fixtures being used which will corrode quite quickly (stainless steel under the waterline). However its quite interesting to see what types of timber is used in Brazil. Huge amounts of purple heart. Must be cheap in Brazil. Costs a fortune here

Back