Tall plank dovetail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":25fzze6u said:
SMALMALEKI":25fzze6u said:
......I don’t have a plan but what I have drafted is just short of 200 cm tall and 45 cm deep. Has three main compartment of 58 cm. ........
A couple of things. Firstly, 450 deep (minus the depth of the back panel, presumably), isn't deep enough for a coat hanger with shirts or jackets etc. I make wardrobes 700 deep (650 min.). Secondly, I'd be making the sides out of a paneled construction, rather than solid boards. Just make sure you have a cross-member to suit shelves and hanging rails etc.

Hi Mike

Thank you for your advice. The reason I went 450 was because of the room this is going to put in. 700 mm could possibly be slightly too big for the room. To make room for hangers I was planing to get the rail front to back rather than side to side and fix it to the top of wardrobe with hanging hooks.

Do you mean I use the second design for the sides rather than the one in the first photo?

Another question which I have to ask is where do you get the plans for tried and tested furnitures?

Best regards

Attachments

• 4A4F0E43-60B0-4381-AAEA-2AF359FF8FE8.jpeg
    4A4F0E43-60B0-4381-AAEA-2AF359FF8FE8.jpeg
    654.5 KB · Views: 112
  • FF4B1CA7-1E88-4F13-994A-B71037EED9EA.jpeg
    FF4B1CA7-1E88-4F13-994A-B71037EED9EA.jpeg
    927.6 KB · Views: 112
MikeG.":3qegakic said:
Racers":3qegakic said:
......These days I would cut them the same way but with a saw, Japanese one with the plank flat on the bench, crouch and saw........

Kneeling under the work, rather than kneeling over it on saw horses. I don't get it.

Didn't make sense did it, seemed to when I wrote it :oops:
I think I ment Japanese saw crouching down plank on bench.

Pete

That's what I thought you meant Pete, and the response applies.........Why would you crouch down or kneel to get low enough to be able to saw something above you, when you could just chuck it on saw horses and kneel on top of it in comfort?

MikeG.":3ex4ibb1 said:
That's what I thought you meant Pete, and the response applies.........Why would you crouch down or kneel to get low enough to be able to saw something above you, when you could just chuck it on saw horses and kneel on top of it in comfort?

I guess you could either, I would prefer crouching it seems easer to work with gravity rather than against it.
Your head would be level with the edge of the work crouching.

Pete

Racers":2a8wfabp said:
......it seems easer to work with gravity rather than against it.........

Blimey, how heavy is your saw, Pete? :)

Actually, kneeling above is working with gravity, if you are using a western saw.

Yer basic box for a chest of drawers or wardrobe is most often DTd top and bottom with blind DTs (sockets on the vertical boards out of sight) or through DTs if there will be a plinth, moulding whatever covering the tail ends.
Lots of variations of course.
A typical chest of drawers will have 100 to 200 DTs which makes all the fussy modern ways of doing it utterly non viable.
They HAD to be done fast n furious, freehand, minimal marking out, over-cutting as far as the quality would allow, etc. But luckily this means minimal tools - an ordinary cutting marking gauge (essential) a DT saw or tenon saw, a few chisels, a marking awl (usually home made bodge) er thats about it!

Jacob":3498lry0 said:
Yer basic box for a chest of drawers or wardrobe is most often DTd top and bottom with blind DTs (sockets on the vertical boards out of sight) or through DTs if there will be a plinth, moulding whatever covering the tail ends.
Lots of variations of course.
A typical chest of drawers will have 100 to 200 DTs which makes all the fussy modern ways of doing it utterly non viable.
They HAD to be done fast n furious, freehand, minimal marking out, over-cutting as far as the quality would allow, etc. But luckily this means minimal tools - an ordinary cutting marking gauge (essential) a DT saw or tenon saw, a few chisels, a marking awl (usually home made bodge) er thats about it!

No harm in striving for perfection.

Pete

Whenever I have had to dovetail tall planks I place the board horizontally in the vice from the right-hand edge of the vice and at a slope. Then it's just a case of working from the side of the jaws, cutting the tails and keeping an eye on the marked lines so you make a neat job. It's a fiddle, and entails turning the board over to see both sides, but it works. Better than standing on a tall stool to cut the upright plank! :mrgreen:

As if I would!

John (hammer)

This may be the longest side I have dovetailed ...

ArmoireProject1_html_m4712d933.jpg

I think that I must have stood on a bench to dovetail this in the upright position :)

ArmoireProject1_html_mf738597.jpg

Transferring dovetails ...

ArmoireProject1_html_1c7c0925.jpg

Completionoftheproject_html_57aa5367.jpg

Completionoftheproject_html_4bf22a87.jpg

Several years later I needed to dovetail the end cap for a bench ...

BuidingaBench4_html_m5555eda4.jpg

This time I laid the board horizontally ...

BuidingaBench4_html_m2ccf9ff0.jpg

BuidingaBench4_html_26f1ba0e.jpg

Transferring the dovetails was a balancing act!

BuidingaBench4_html_m457445d7.jpg

At 6'6" it was a bit too tall for my workshop ...

BuidingaBench4_html_3193f19f.jpg

BuidingaBench4_html_m6fac05e5.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

SMALMALEKI":37xejfw5 said:
Ttrees":37xejfw5 said:
A good excuse to get a bandsaw (hammer)

Hi Ttrees
Or even a dovetail cutting jig. The problem is that I have no power plug in my workshop 8) :twisted:

Good reason to cut them in the living room, with a good vacuum cleaner to hand!

Cheers

John :mrgreen:

Derek.

That's about as tall as I would want to go at my time of life! Couldn't slant that in the vice unless I hot-melted a temporary batten to the work piece, to fit it in the vice. Probably I would lay it flat on the bench though and hold-fast it down. Easy enough to turn it over to get at the other side.

Just thought of a use for some Parana Pine I have!

Cheers

John (hammer)

This may be the longest side I have dovetailed ...

ArmoireProject1_html_m4712d933.jpg

I think that I must have stood on a bench to dovetail this in the upright position :)

ArmoireProject1_html_mf738597.jpg

Transferring dovetails ...

ArmoireProject1_html_1c7c0925.jpg

Completionoftheproject_html_57aa5367.jpg

Completionoftheproject_html_4bf22a87.jpg

Several years later I needed to dovetail the end cap for a bench ...

BuidingaBench4_html_m5555eda4.jpg

This time I laid the board horizontally ...

BuidingaBench4_html_m2ccf9ff0.jpg

BuidingaBench4_html_26f1ba0e.jpg

Transferring the dovetails was a balancing act!

BuidingaBench4_html_m457445d7.jpg

At 6'6" it was a bit too tall for my workshop ...

BuidingaBench4_html_3193f19f.jpg

BuidingaBench4_html_m6fac05e5.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

That’s amazing job. In last few weeks I have been searching nonstop to see a nice dovetail wardrobe. Even the old ones in the Antique shop did not have dovetail joining.

You wouldn’t have the drawing for the wardrobe by any chance?

Regards

No drawings, per se, I’m afraid. However - possibly better? - this was my among the first of the step-by-step builds I did on the forums 10 years ago, and it documented in a series of pictorials on my website.

It is termed the “Armoire Project” and “will be about 51” tall and 36” wide”. It is a smaller wardrobe as it needed to fit into a smallish spare bedroom. You could scale it up from this if you wish.

Armoire-and-Mirror.jpg

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/index.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back