Talk of new benches has got me wondering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having the angle poise lamp easily adjustable on the far end, without clutter, etc
I've got mine as easily movable as on Cosman's nice bench, similar height too which is important if intending to use them well.
For me, the lamp is as much a tool as the plane or whatever.
Tom is in about his angle poise again! I thought it was a good idea too until I tried it, and rapidly realised that it's the worst kind of lamp for woodwork - for the simple reason that normal work takes you out of the narrow focus of an angle poise at a stroke - literally, with a saw or a plane. Angle poise good for static activities like reading, but for woodwork you need a wide spread of light, or a moving light like a head torch.

Very true and a good point Jacob, only one of me lol. But also as Tom says there must be times when it’s handy, this workshop is going to be much more hand tool orientated and so I think I shall have the room to try a freestanding one this time.
The light, now that’s a bit of a secret fo now. Planing stick, I have one on my present bench and although it’s not used a great deal, when it is it’s a very handy aid.

That lamp will provide enough light for 2m, and easily slide-able anywhere on the bench.
The idea being one can move it about with a thumb and finger to where it needs to be,
and worth noting, able to be moved if needed elsewhere without fuss.
SAM_5287.JPG

If it's placed much higher than shown, like this one on the swing arm below for instance, then it won't work well at all,
as the springs won't stay relaxed, and the lamp won't settle where it's needed.

This one over the drill is pure useless, and I've since found a floor standing base for it
from another touch lamp, for mobile applications.
Bit clumsy for the bench by comparison, so worth thinking about regarding bench design,
dog holes would be inconceivably horrible by comparison, as they don't lend themselves to getting that light right on the money, which if your using these lamps effectively, will require such.

Proper pain it would be to have the perfect lighting, but stuck with it being a foot off the target.
not going to fair well in that scenario.

All the best
Tom
SAM_4868.JPG

SAM_8561.JPG

I've always found benches fixed to the wall a pain in the pants. There's always a situation where you have something like a frame or panel you need to work on that's wider and/or longer than the distance between the front edge of the bench and the wall at the back. You end up with a big chunk of frame, panel, or whatever hanging off the front edge of the bench with a tendency to flex, or something.

I like the bench to be well away from walls so you can walk around it and be able, for example, to move large parts forwards and backwards on the bench as needed. I work from the edge where the vices are for probably 95% of the time, but having the ability to work from both sides when needed is a bonus. Everyone is different I suppose, but I've intensely disliked wall mounted benches because I find them restrictive. Slainte.

That lamp will provide enough light for 2m, and easily slide-able anywhere on the bench.
The idea being one can move it about with a thumb and finger to where it needs to be,
and worth noting, able to be moved if needed elsewhere without fuss.View attachment 172305

If it's placed much higher than shown, like this one on the swing arm below for instance, then it won't work well at all,
as the springs won't stay relaxed, and the lamp won't settle where it's needed.

This one over the drill is pure useless, and I've since found a floor standing base for it
from another touch lamp, for mobile applications.
Bit clumsy for the bench by comparison, so worth thinking about regarding bench design,
dog holes would be inconceivably horrible by comparison, as they don't lend themselves to getting that light right on the money, which if your using these lamps effectively, will require such.

Proper pain it would be to have the perfect lighting, but stuck with it being a foot off the target.
not going to fair well in that scenario.

All the best
Tom
View attachment 172306
View attachment 172307
OK if you can work in a small patch of light - jeweller, model maker etc. but throw a strong shadow, so ideal only for reading.
I had mine clamped on a tall stand, but in use it was either in the wrong place most of the time, or actually in the way itself, particularly the flex.
Fluorescent tubes or modern equivalents, suspended above, totally superior.
A head torch is good as although a small patch of light it moves wherever you want to look.

Last edited:
I've always worked on a freestanding bench, think I would find a wall mounted one way too restrictive.

I do tend to always work at the same side of the bench (vice side) and have a wall mounted flat surface behind me which is just basically a dumping ground for tools to try and help keep my main bench clear.

I am actually planning on building another bench over Christmas to go against the wall to replace the current tool dumping surface as it will be handy to have an alternative bench to work on when my main one has a project on it and if it's a proper bench I might actually keep it clear of clutter, the tool wall is right above it so really no excuse for not putting things back in their place.

I was actually Googling benches earlier for inspiration, didn't realise there were so many "styles" as to me it's just always been a solid flat surface with a vice. Now I'm an expert on benches think I'm quite fancying a Moravian.......... :unsure:

Thanks Richard and Doug, that sort of confirms what I was thinking. The provisional plan is for a bench 30” from front to back, from what I’ve read any wider and it’s beyond reach, any thoughts?
Doug, I know what you mean, I have been following a truly massive thread on Lumberjocks? I was quite tempted by a Moravian as well, just seems a sensible practical no nonsense solution but I am going for something a bit heavier this time. I have a few innovative ideas I want to try out as well !

Back