Taking something off a motor shaft

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to get this off it seems stuck solid
Cheers

6d979aea-dd2f-5b0e.jpg

Yep, check out Machine Mart, Halfords or similar for a 3 legged puller. Had to buy one myself when changing the pulley wheel on my bandsaw motor a while back, easy and effective to use.....

Cheers, Paul

Alan

Are you trying to get the darker part off that goes directly on the shaft

or

the darker part and the alloy looking part as well ?

If its just the smaller one , I would try some heat to expand it , small hand held blow lamp keep it moving around and around to heat it evenly

If you can fit them insert 2 pieces of flat steel bar either side of the shaft with a hole at each end to attach something strong like wire reinforced washing line and then lift off that way.

It doesn't always work but it has for me a lot of times.

Cheers All

eBay brought a set of 3 pullers.

Blister. Both although they are the same piece of cast steel just one part is painted the same green as the bandsaw it came off as you can see the centre when you open the cover.

James C. Sounds interesting but I can't vision how it works. I guess im missing something as from what I envision is all your doing is lifting the motor up by the thing stuck on the spindle?

Puller would be the best/easiest method.

One thing worth mentioning, it caught me out a while ago..... the grub screw, make sure theres not two in there.
I removed one from a similar setup, it wouldn't budge..... eventually worked out there was two. Although it doesnt look like theres room in this case.

A few taps with a mallet whilst applying a little even pressure often works wonders...

Or, theres threaded holes in the pulley, cant you screw a stud or bolt into them to push it away?

Hitch now after I while of no luck I thought there could be a second grub and checked. Glad you said you had once found one as I just thought I was being paranoid.

Tried the tapping with no luck, also wedges, lever force and WD40.

Using the screw threads is a great idea though. Thanks!

I guess you are probably right I think because the weight of what I was separating was so substantial it wasn't an issue. I guess yours is pretty stuck until the pullers come through.

Back