Taking advantage of the weak Dollar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm angling for a birthday present from the better half and I can't help but feel that it would be cheaper to buy Lie Nielsen tools from the website and pay for shipping than to buy from Axminster.

A rough calculation for a 5 1/2......

Lie Nielsen Web price $325 (assuming you can get $1.85 to £1) = £176
Axminster price £244.12 inc VAT and shipping

Can it really cost £68.12 to get it sent from Maine :? ? Anyone got any experience ?

Phill...

it all depends on how Customs are feeling on they day your package goes through them.. if it catches their attention, you'll have duty and VAT to stump up for... if they miss it... candy land...

even with the C&E hit, my last order from there worked pretty close to what I woulda been charged by Axminster..

I got caught for approx a third of the cost of the order-so maybe a re-think is involved. Although I hear that if you get it sent "really slow takes week" mail you might not get caught at all 8)
I took the 7 day option-bang, thank you Royal mail :evil:
Cheers
Philly :D

Phil

I just gotta ask - is this a present for the better half? Great idea. I think my wife could do with that Spiers shoulder plane I've been hankering after for so long. :lol:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Travis,

I reckon Axminster sent it over for us! (I presume LN doesn't supply them for free?) Now if you want new money, then I suggest we persuade whatsisname (sorry - Phil) to buy something Axminster don't stock - like a set of Barr Chisels..

Phil

I just gotta ask - is this a present for the better half? Great idea. I think my wife could do with that Spiers shoulder plane I've been hankering after for so long. :lol:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Her birthday is next week and I've suggested that. I believe the rules of this forum preclude a direct quote :!:

Phil

Phil

I have bought direct from LN and Veritas and been stung for duty each time. Still a bit cheaper than buying in Britain

HOWEVER, I ordered from LN a few weeks ago and the USPS say that they tried to deliver on 3rd March. I don't have my order AND do not know where the parcel is at present. Certainly did NOT arrive on 3rd March!!!!!!

Lie Neilsen's take on this? Well, we sent it and nowit is your problem!!

They advise me to try and find out where it is. Not impressed one bit and will probably only order from Axminster in the future if LN don't start helping me

Ohh,by the way, the credit card was charged at time of order

If it was sent with USPS then it should be with Royal Mail or Parcelforce.
Check with USPS at http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandco ... andconfirm
If no tracking number USPS should still have a handling record (think it's called that).
But I assume if you were told that there was an attempted delivery then there's a record somewhere.

Hi Noel

I now have a tracking number - 8 days after they alleged that they attempted to deliver. The tracking number simply tells me that they attempted delivery on 3rd and nothing else! :twisted:

I tried to email USPS to find out more BUT their system requires a US address and zip code entry before you can submit the email. I faked a US zip code but included my tracking number and address and so now I am awaiting a respones.
Also emailed LN explaining that it is THEIR responsibility to deliver goods to ME, not my responsibility to find them!!!!!

It's really disappointing to hear this about Lie Nielsen :(
I've never heard a bad thing about them before, but this is one of those situations that makes you want to buy through Axminster or the like.

Aragorn":37bd8cet said:
It's really disappointing to hear this about Lie Nielsen :(
I've never heard a bad thing about them before, but this is one of those situations that makes you want to buy through Axminster or the like.

Hi -

I have to jump in say that this is atypical for LN... I'll copy this thread to Tom LN - and he'll be able to get this sorted out.

All of us make mistakes, and once in a while, someone has a bad day - and gives out a less than stellar reply... happens to us too...

What's important to recognise as well is that for every "problem" posted in a group - there are hundreds, or even thousands , of unposted kudos...

Certainly it's easy to understand the disappointment when you're on the receiving end, but I'd give them another chance to make it right. The story isn't finished yet... !

Cheers -

Rob

Cripes, Rob. I know you pride yourselves on customer service but I didn't know you meant everybody's! :shock: That takes your all-round marvellousness to new heights and all possible expressions of kudos are even more deserved than usual - time for you to get yourself a bigger hat. :wink:

Oh, and I agree; I was extremely to surprised to read this about LN. Certainly not the service that I gather from various fora is the norm. Annoying though, very annoying. :(

Cheers, Alf

Nice one Rob! That's service for you... I'm sure Tony will be pleased to get you onboard - probably a bit more effective than hassling USPS.

And there's no shortage of posted LN kudos in this forum, as I'm sure you have seen. I suppose that's what makes it all the more surprising when we hear a story like Tony's. But as you say, it happens to us all.

<reaching for the BriMarc catalogue for another look at the Veritas stuff... :wink: >

As one with all the LN stuff he will ever need (Good Grief! - did I just write that??) I am also surprised by the problem Tony has experienced which is not the sort of experience I have ever had with LN.

I am however, unsurprised by Rob's thoughtful intervention. He has shown time and again here and elsewhere that he and his company are several cuts above the rest when it comes to customer service - long may they prosper!

Back