Tailstock issue Record CL2 36

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richl

Reaction score
I have recently been given the use of a workshop that has not been used for 10 years.
The Tailstock (quill) has a live centre tool stuck in it mainly due to rusting I think.
I have to tried knock it out through the hollow end.
I have also been in touch with Record to see if they have a solution but they no longer hold spares that suit.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

I would start off by getting some penetrating oil in there if you can (not wd40). I am not familiar with that specific lathe but any hairline gap or potential gap is worth a try. It is likely stuck with friction, may not be actual rust even.

Welcome by the way. I wouldn't worry that much about spares, if you can separate it, then a good cleaning may resolve it for next time.

I would start off by getting some penetrating oil in there if you can (not wd40). I am not familiar with that specific lathe but any hairline gap or potential gap is worth a try. It is likely stuck with friction, may not be actual rust even.
Yes. Take the tailstock off and upend it, centre down. Spray Plus Gas or whatever into it and leave it for a day or two.

Yes. Take the tailstock off and upend it, centre down. Spray Plus Gas or whatever into it and leave it for a day or two.
Watch out for the none captive nut inside the tail stock, it’s quite large but sod’s law says it will fall out and lodge some where awkward. If you can use a brass rod when knocking it out. If that doesn’t work you can take the tail stock barrel out and use some heat to crack the joint.

good luck and report back what worked

Thanks for the welcome and the all the info. I have of course been dousing it in WD40. Will reassess in the morning.

Often with taper fit things a sharp ringing blow or blows on the sides of the "carrier/barrel" will help release it. Its not brute force, more getting a resonance. Works for getting ball joins out of suspension arms, things like that.

Back