Tailstock 'chuck'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a tailstock chuck? I don't mean something for drill bits etc I mean like an MT2 threaded screw that I could attach a faceplate that was attached to a piece of ply to apply pressure during, for example, gluing segment rings one on top of another?

Maybe on a smaller scale, but when I needed something similar I spindle turned a bit of hardwood to fit the tailstock taper. Quick and cheap.

Phil Pascoe":14e71xrg said:
You could get a bit of hardwood and turn a disc, epoxying one of these in the centre to mount in the tailstock. https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogu ... End-Arbors
an advantage of using a wooden one would be be that you could shape it to put the pressure where you wanted it rather than having a flat metal plate.

OT, but Phil I use a pair of these as a pen press, when you get that far. you get plenty of control with the tailstock, although you may have jewellery tools/presses that work as well.

I do something similar for a press. At the headstock, I either screw a scrap piece onto a faceplate or a wooden disc in a Chuck. At the tail stock, a £5 stub arbor with a wooden cap on the end.

marcros":2ez2poz9 said:
OT, but Phil I use a pair of these as a pen press, when you get that far. you get plenty of control with the tailstock, although you may have jewellery tools/presses that work as well.

Oh, nice idea :)

Don't even need to worry about the tailstock taper.
A small diameter collar on the rear of you pressure plate with a socket to fit over the nose of your tailstock quill.

I have special revolving hollow centres (metal bodied) I use for some projects that just locate over the tailstock quill nose, they work fine and align satisfactorily.
can even be clamped with a screw located in the quill anti-rotation groove.

marcros":3fq0ycea said:
Phil Pascoe":3fq0ycea said:
You could get a bit of hardwood and turn a disc, epoxying one of these in the centre to mount in the tailstock. https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogu ... End-Arbors
an advantage of using a wooden one would be be that you could shape it to put the pressure where you wanted it rather than having a flat metal plate.

Already got 'em. :D

ScaredyCat":2g6zhvlo said:
marcros":2g6zhvlo said:
Oh, nice idea :)
I saw it on a YouTube clip on making pens without expensive gear, and bought them as part of a little job lot (not silly cheap, but all stuff I needed) advertised on https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk (worth watching, there's nice woodworking stuff there sometimes. I got a boxed, virtually unused old Stanley 78 there for £30 inc.P&P.)

Back