Tail Vise Hardware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
The greenheart bench project progresses a little and will post to that thread when a bit more is done, but have run into a problem trying to source some tail vise hardware.
I wanted to get a Lee Valley European Tail vise kit and thought that I would be able to get one from Axminster or Brimarc. I already have their twin screw vise for the front vise.
LV could not have been more helpful in sorting out a couple of queries, their customer service is second to none, however they tell me that they only normally ship Veritas brand products to UK and the tail vise is not Veritas. They have quoted me prices for shipping but even surface mail is not cheap and 6-8 weeks means the project will come to a halt.
Does anyone know of a source for this hardware please?
A slight problem might be that I have already designed and cut some of the bench top parts in anticipation of the LV unit so any other will have to be very close in dimensions etc.
I believe that I did see a German maker but cannot for the life of me find it again anywhere.
I really don't want to go the route of having to build an all wood vise using a York screw or somesuch.
Any and all thoughts will be most welcome.
Regards
Martin

Martin,

Atlas in Canada do the one featured in Scott Landis's book on workbenches http://www.atlas-machinery.com as shown here
tvh.jpg

Chris
Many thanks, I have just emailed them for details. I suspect that shipping will be the killer again as LV wanted between $80 and £100 or so to ship to UK.
I am amazed that there is nothing in this country, (or am I?) :(
Regards
martin

Ian
Top man!
That was the German one I saw!
Are you pleased with it?
May I ask the cost and shipping cost please?
Was there duty and/or Vat to pay?

My main bench core is 1-7/8" thick; front skirt is 4-1/4" deep by about 6" wide. There will obviously be a filler block needed to mount the plate but do you think this unit will fit?
Sorry for all the questions!
Regards
martin

Martin,
Can't remember the price now exactly i think it was around £100 delivered there was no vat to pay i must have got lucky on this one. delivery price was very reasonable but i cant remember exactly around £15 i think
delighted with it, it is very well made but there are no instructions with it unless he has included them now.

it should fit although you never mentioned the actual length of your tail vise. it will need to be around 450-500mm long to accept the vise. it will also need to be 120 -30 mm wide and deep

the body is screwed on with 5 no 14 screws and one is a machine screw that fits inside a body similar to the screw off an old handsaw.

it was a bit daunting to start with but once i had the design in my head it was straight forward. it performs as it should with only a slight bit of play when 3/4 to full extension

Ian

Martin, no need to worry about vat or import duty on things sourced within the EU. German vat at 16% has already been included in the price.
Looks a good vice.

Cheers

Noel

I realise this maybe too late......but I built mine for a fraction of that price..

bought the longer of the 2 Axminster tailvice screws; had the machine shop ar work lame the plates necessary to make a Nelson tail vice.. the vice itself was made from offcuts....

total cost around £35 and it's built like a tank

Shame on you Mike-that's cheating! :wink:
I built mine from timber and an Axminster tailvice screw. Took a bit of work (and had to build a prototype to ensure I didn't cock-it-up) but well worth it. I used Sam Allens workbench book for the recipe.
Cheers
Philly :D

Shame on you Mike-that's cheating!

cheatin my lilly white ar@#... :p

I recovered the 1/4" plate from the scrap bin, ripped it on the bandsaw, filed, squared and de-burred by hand and gave the machinist a proper sketch to mill the slots to... Ohhh... I forgot the angle bracket to mount the nut to... same again; I did the stock prep and gave the machinist the nut to get the hole centres...

cheatin... HA... recycling... :p :wink:

Back