Tail vice - silk purse from a sows ear.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had a tail vice so have always been reluctant to pay the money for one, but this cheapy came up at the market for £7.50. Nothing special, but it'll do.
DSCN2228.JPG

Finger jointed bits of hevea - beggars can't be choosers. :D
First I tidied it up a bit, and added a bit of depth so I could get it in the centre of the bench top depth ways and turned it over as the dog holes weren't 19mm which I wanted. Then bored some scrap to make a guide for the holes - no way could I bore them to that depth accurately.
DSCN2410.JPG

Clamp it down and away.
DSCN2413.JPG

New dog holes drilled and nearly fitted - my auger wasn't quite long enough so another auger comes tomorrow.
DSCN2414.JPG

DSCN2415.JPG

Quite pleased, for what it cost. :D

Attachments

• DSCN2228.JPG
    DSCN2228.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN2410.JPG
    DSCN2410.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN2413.JPG
    DSCN2413.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN2414.JPG
    DSCN2414.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCN2415.JPG
    DSCN2415.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 152
No, I was a bit limited as to where I could put them because of the bars. It's no big deal as the holes in the bench are in pairs at 90 degrees to the front so I can span them with a batten. The two holes closest to the end are redundant anyway - the frame of the bench is different to the one that that top was originally on.

If the screw is halfway decent it's got to be worth what you paid for the vice.

You've made a nice job fettling it. =D>

I'm looking for a cheapy myself just to mount my carving chops in. I take them to my carving club so don't want them fixed to the bench.

Back