tabletop fasteners quick release

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone know a good way to fix a table top to a rail which has some strength but can also be removed whenever by hand for an occasional table?

I could make the button wood type but one screw doesn't seem very strong when it's going to be twisted to release often.

I could just use door bolts but they don't look great.

Thanks,
Carl.

This pic isn't the actual thing but hopefully shows enough to explain.

I have a table top which sits on supports and has some battens which help it find its position. That smallest piece, the batten doesn't go through the rail, it's just to help locate.

I want to be able to lock the table top to the support rail but for it to be easy to take apart again.

tablefast.png

I've thought of simple wooden buttons, a bit of wood which spins on a screw and when turned holds in a hole in the rail. That would look nice but not be very strong.

Robin, I'm having a look into toggles now thanks.

I think the correct term would be a table fastener but one which is strong and easy to open and close repeatedly.

Like this maybe but it should be easy to use again and again. It doesn't have to have the right angle bend this one has.

34215-03-1000.jpg

Cheers,
Carl.

This shows the above metal fastener and the wooden button type but I don't think either is designed to be regularly disengaged.

151164D.jpg

Yeah I think that is the simplest elegant solution. I just don't think they will be all that strong, say if someone sat or put something heavy on one side of the table, but I agree it'll probably do.

There's so little play in them that it would take a huge amount of stress before they broke, assuming your table top doesn't overhang by a huge amount from the aprons

It does overhang a fair bit 25cm but I might give them a try anyway.

It's a bit of an experiment for myself so if it doesn't work no problem. I think I'll try heavy duty spring loaded bolts.

Could you not put threaded inserts into the table top and then use hand screws with threaded rod (the sort of thing used in jig making) to secure the table top If you put cross rails in parallel to the apron these could be well above the apron so that the hand screws were unobtusive. It wouldn't be as quick as toggles but would be very secure and pretty easy to use with the location bar already mentioned.

Jim

pike":2oiow39f said:
This shows the above metal fastener and the wooden button type but I don't think either is designed to be regularly disengaged.

151164D.jpg

I recently made an oak integrated desk for my office room and used the method on the right in the picture. I made the wood 'clamps' out of oak by ripping a long strip of oak on the table saw with a couple of trench cuts to create the 'L' profile (using feather boards for accuracy and safety). I then cross cut the L profile into lots of little blocks. Each block was then drilled and counter sunk.

I expected them to crack and split into thousand pieces when screwing them into the apron grooves (routed on the router table) but they didn't. I think the secret is to get a nice snug fit in the apron groove.

yetloh":yszf6831 said:
Could you not put threaded inserts into the table top and then use hand screws with threaded rod (the sort of thing used in jig making) to secure the table top If you put cross rails in parallel to the apron these could be well above the apron so that the hand screws were unobtusive. It wouldn't be as quick as toggles but would be very secure and pretty easy to use with the location bar already mentioned.

Jim
Such rigid fixing won't allow for expansion and contraction of the table top though :)

MattRoberts":1199l9vb said:
yetloh":1199l9vb said:

Jim
Such rigid fixing won't allow for expansion and contraction of the table top though :)

They would if the holes in the rails were slotted.

Jim

I should say this is not fine furniture. It's utility for myself which mainly needs to be quick to take apart. I've ordered some spring bolts but might try the threaded inserts idea too. Cheers!

Back